Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Are folate and folic acid the exact same thing?

I'm reading a book that mentions how much folate a person's vitamin should contain, but the label on my bottle shows folic acid, but not folate. Are they interchangable?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • sarayu
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

They are one and the same. A good food source of folate contains a substantial amount of folate in relation to its calorie content and contributes at least 10 percent of the U.S. Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for folate in a selected serving size. The U.S. RDA for folate is 400 micrograms per day. The U.S. RDA given is for adults (except pregnant or lactating women) and children over 4 years of age. More details can be had from the source.

VR

• 1 decade ago

Technically a folate is a folic acid salt and any of a group of substances that act as coenzymes and promote the chemical transfer of single carbon units from one molecule to another. Folic acid, a water-soluble vitamin, functions as a coenzyme. While they function in similar ways, they are not exactly the same thing. Folate is pteroylpolyglutamate acid and folic acid is pteroylmonoglutamic acid. But your body uses folates to make folic acid. Just take the folic acid.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.
  • 1 decade ago

folate refers to the form of folic acid present, so theyre intechangeable terms as far as vitamins go..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are the same its essential during pregnance will prevent some birth defects and also instrumental in preventing , stopping or delaying a heart attack. A good source is orange juice.Always keep some on hand

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.