Buster asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it healthy to let a dog sleep in the same bed with us?

We have a miniature dachshund that loves to get under the covers and sleep at our feet. Is this cool?

• Danny
    Favorite Answer

Well it isn't the healthiest I would say, but it's not like really bad. So if you and your dogs like sleeping in the bed then let them ^_^ You just might need to wash your bedding and that more often to keep it clean and free of germs and that.

• Scott

Well if you don't mind getting a few fleas from time to time... however by now that you've already let the doggie sleep in the bed with you it will be very hard to break it of wanting to jump right in next time it gets a chance...

Healthy? I guess it depends on what you mean by health. From a physical health standpoint it can go either way. You are going to expose yourself to microbes that you otherwise would not get exposure to, let's face it, dogs lick the areas where fecal microbes go,so from that standpoint, it isn't all that healthy. On the flipside to that, getting exposure to different microbes can help boost the immune system to them, as well as keep it busy which can help prevent allergies from developing later in life.

What really comes down to, are you comfortable with it?

YES deffinatley! Why not. My staff loves to sleep in the bed. She loves to be under the covers. She usually crawls right up to the top n tries to sleep with her head on my pillow n wakes me up with her cold wet nose, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

Normal I think. Our daschund (now deceased), used to get under the covers and sleep between my knees. I thought it a bit strange, but that is where she was comfortable. Eventually, I couldn't sleep without her there.

My beagle sleeps with her body under the blanket and her head on the pillow. My American Eskimo sleeps at my feet. Its ok unless you don't want them up there.

Normally yes.

Butr dachsunds have notoriously bad backs. It could injure a disk jumping off.

I'd vote with no, just because of the breed

Ya it's totally heathy to sleep in the same bed as your dog:)

i let my two dogs sleep with me and i think its ok to let dogs sleep with you but i think the only problem with that is that they might think since you let them get on the bed its ok to get on other furniture. so if you dont want your dog on other furniture, you hsouldnt let it sleep on the bed.

As long as it is clean n does smell u it is so damn ok to let him sleep with u