Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 decade ago

Do you think the abortion of babies who have been diagnosed with possible defects sends a message to the?

disabled community? If so, what do you think that message is? I'm particularly interested in responses from parents of disabled children.

KIMBERLY: Interesting thoughts...but back to the original question...what message do you think this sends to those who are already born and currently living with disabilities? What do you think they would say to you if you were to tell them to their faces that you think they'd be better off dead than alive with the challenges that they today face? I think that you'd encounter righteous indignance at best, even from the children you pointed out in your example. Let's give them the option of life or death today, and see what they "choose".

Additionally, consider this: Many people believe that children of mixed race have a tough road ahead of them socially, abuse or no. Would you advocate the abortion of mixed race babies because they MIGHT encounter some adversity in the future? What about those whose prenatal tests show the gene for homosexuality, which is not far away from the realm of possibility? Who is to judge, madam, whether the life of another individual is worth living?

HUSHNOW: It's true that euthanasia and abortion are nothing new. Neither are abominations such as slavery, rape, and pedophilia, along with a host of others...doesn't make them right, or moral, or sane.

Of course feelings of resentment may surface inside someone caring for a disabled relative. It's human nature and it takes a special person to overcome those feelings and replace them with feelings of compassion and love...it happens every day, and the caretakers become better human beings for it. Many people also periodically may have those feelings for their own children who are NOT disablesd in any way...should the children just not be allowed to be born because they might be a burden on someone?

Your advocation of euthanizing the uninsured is simply unbelievable. I wonder what will be next...those with IQs under 120?...a child who has trouble keeping up to the proper reading level?...teenagers with acne?

We're on a slippery slope in this country and gravity is winning.

KANA: Thank you for your thoughtful and inspiring answer. It is my unwavering belief that adversity and God's challenges are the very food of the soul...necessary for thriving and growth and essential to demonstrating our dedication to following God's laws.

God bless you and your family.

Favorite Answer

Miracles happen, not to everyone. The message it sends is they had a parent that "took" the challenge and someone else was unlucky. There are some disabilities that ca not be detected through a medical test that is performed.

My point about this is...Say you give birth to a perfectly healthy child, a sudden tragic accident of some sort happens and it then causes your child to have the deformity or set back the same as a "POSSIBLE" (key word) defect as an unborn child has, can you then take the choice and euthanize or abort it then?

No of course not!

Bringing me to the next thing because you said possible, it is so scary as tests can be screwed up. A local WELL RESPECTED hospital in my area did a transplant, OOPS wrong match because of a paperwork error, the child sadly died at the fault of human error or accident.

We are given things in our life to teach us something, if I were to know that my gift is not society's preference of perfect, I would still do it.

I have a disabled child. Maybe not to the extent as some but it isn't easy. It's both mentally and physically draining. He is thankfully high functioning which will bring me to answering your question well because he hears feels and has a great intellect to understand "disorder" or "handicapped" where some in our understandings do not. I answer this with the utmost honesty to him, it is not a crutch it's a challenge you can do this and be better if not just as good as anyone else.

So yes if my child were to ask me what I thought of aborting him (which is a message when he hears this) would I have?

I would tell him I Love You just as you are and I am proud to be here with you by your side.

While I was pregnant with my second one, they wanted to test. But you know I read the risks and said no the risks of the test are higher than the risk of me learning to cope with whatever is put on my plate. So I am not everyone else to make thier mind up but my child has changed me to the highest level and I inturn respect him for being in my life and making it this far. But yes if a child has a heart that naturally beats, and is coherant it feels emotions and may understand that and hopefully they all have parents or caregivers that let them know that being handicapped or disabled is not worth being killed or dying for or they ARE worthy as well to be here like you and I.

I think your question was a very good one, I looked at my life differently and appreciated my children all the more, and myself for giving them a chance and being there for the questions they have about our world.

Best wishes to you!

Euthanizing the old and infirm is nothing new. Neither is aborting babies defective or healthy. It has been going on since time began. Someone who could not keep up with a tribe that wandered was left behind. Survival of the fittest.

If people were totally honest with themselves, I would say that anyone who is a caretaker for someone who is disabled has at times totally resented it and wished that the disabled person had never been born or would die. It's human nature. Parents even hate their "normal" kids from time to time although few would ever admit it.

Euthanasia happens all the time worldwide. It's just not talked about. I'm sure babies with gross abnormalities that would live with medical intervention are sometimes allowed to die. People with incurable illnesses might be given morphine even though the doctor knows it will be too much for their respiratory system. The elderly, people in comas, the uninsured... I'm sure they are all euthanized in today's society.

Aborting a fetus with a possible birth defect falls into the same category. The parents might feel bad, but I am sure there is also a part of them that is relieved.

• ?

Don't worry Margaret I am not here to slam you, I think your question is extremely valid. I am not a parent of a disabled child, but I have worked with individuals with a variety of disabilities for over 8 years now. Ranging from autism and schizophrenia to fetal alcohol syndrome, mild to severe mental retardation and just recently cerebral palsy. One of the individuals i work with has CP but no developmental disability, he believes the same as I do, that abortion is a choice that is personal and one that should not be made FOR someone. That is one opinion out of millions, and if you are specifically asking about those with physical but no developmental disabilities then I think you should address your question to that community, they are perfectly capable, just as many many with developmental disabilities are, of answering and giving you their opinions on the matter. Do I personally believe that abortions done specifically for the reason of a disability sends a message to the disabled community that they are better off dead, yes, I do. Am I still pro choice, yes I am. I also think that when a person feels pity for an individual simply because they are disabled (not saying you are doing this) sends a message that they are incapable of living a meaningful life and being respected by their peers. That also is a very devastating message to send.

In my own personal experience my doctors have repeatedly asked me to do testing on my unborn child to check for disabilities, I have declined those tests because a disability would not change my mind about how much I love my child, or whether I would terminate the pregnancy or not. Contrary to popular belief, although I am pro choice, the choice that i choose for my own personal life is to not abort a child that is growing in my womb.....ever. Even if that child will be born disabled or with downs syndrome...its does not matter to me as he or she will still be my child, and will be worthy of every ounce of love I can give them.

Well, since the number of abortions has been 1 in 4 pregnancies for some time now, the message sent is that abortion doesn't discriminate against the disabled.

I believe abortion is a choice many parents choose for many different reasons. In today's world children who are born with defects can take legal action for wrongful birth. Also do you know how long children wait on families to adopt them when they are perfectly healthy? The amount of neglect and abuse that happens in fosters homes anymore is horrible. There is a family on trial now for keeping thier adopted children in cages made from chicken wire. Somethings.. are worse than death..

Source(s): life

The way I look at this its not the babies fault that they are born that way and if the parents are ignorant and abort their child because of these problems than they don't deserve a child. They could give it up for adoption.. Children with deffects can get adopted too. Some people dont look at them as a child wiht defects but as a miracle. I love my child every day and wouldnt change who she is.