Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it possible to get over an ex without having to go into a new relationship?

Just to add -- my ex was never hurtful/ mean and we had a great relationship. We broke up because of cultural differences (we are of different nationalities) and because we couldn't be in the same location and didn't want to do it long distance. Without these, we were perfect for each other and I know we'd still be together. That's what's making it so hard for me to move on, but I really want to. I can't get myself to be attracted to anyone else and I wonder if this is because I haven't gotten over my ex.

Favorite Answer

Yes it is. In many cases, people are not still in love with the person that wronged them. They miss the idea of the relationship and the dream of what they had hoped it could have been. Time does do a lot to thinking adjustment though. With the passage of time everyone has the chance to look back on things and realize the things that were not so obvious in the heat of the moment. Don't make the mistake of looking back with rose colored glasses though. If your ex was disrespectuf or hurtful to you. Make an effort to see it just that way. Do things for yourself and others that will empower you and make you feel more deserving of a better person next time.

I think that's the best way, otherwise your in a rebound relationship, that is there just for your needs, and I don't think that would be really that fair on the other person.

I'm in that situation at the moment, although there is someone that I like and would like to date, I would rather wait a while and let these feelings for my ex subside a little before starting the dating emotional roller coaster again.

hope this helps you,

take care,

love n light xx x

I have had the same problem. My gf and i broke up for similar reasons and I've not been able to attach to anyone else either. I guess it just takes time and patience. I have friends I talk to, and keeping busy with things like Answers seems to help too. I enjoyed the cultural differences between my Filipino x and my American self but her parents would not have accepted me as her bf for that and other reasons so we split.. Its been months and i still miss her and our long talks. Just keep trying to connect with other people and you will find someone worth giving your heart to. Email me if you want. I'd love to talk to someone else in a similar situation.

I would reccomend that you GET over your ex before you start a new relationship. Look at yourself and see what went wrong. Fix the problem, it being something you did or a danger sign that the ex gave you. Then get back in the game.

Happy Hunting!

• sexton

yes and the best way... but it's also very hard because all you wanna do is just get over the pain and not think about the person anymore.. It sucks trying a new relationship after a bad one because you think about that person anyways... I hate thinking about my ex- he sucked and ripped out my heart, id rather just have fun and try to escape my thoughts of him...

hahhaha..well yeah.. well really it depends how your new relationship goes... if it goes good. then yeah sure .. but if it does,, i bet you.. you would just miss your ex and possibly want her even more..

• T Time

That's the best way to do it

anything is possible. keep yourself busy with friends and family. with time you will get over it.

no not really i feel i have to replace one thing with another whether a boy or a habit.....

It is not only possible, it is preferable.