Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

i have british pounds to change into dollars?

The rate is going up should I change it in America or here?I travel the first of january???if here wheres the best place to change it please?

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Firstly welcome to NY! I'm going over to England JUL 8th and I'm dreading the conversion rate.. oh well, gotta make wifey happy. Anyways, My suggestion is to change about 50- 100 GBP in the UK, depending on how long you are planning to stay. A cab ride will cost $45 to and from JFK. (If that is where you are flying into.) For 99% of your transactions, use your credit card. (Unless you are looking to buy a dirty water dog or go and haggle for prices in chinatown.) You will get the best rate of exchange. Make sure you call your credit company up because they typically charge a 3% exchange rate, some don't however. Anyways, have fun.

  • 1 decade ago

    I'm from Canada and I have lived in Britain for 2 years, and have traved through the States over the years as well.

    Don't bring British Cash over with you, reason being is the fact that you will get a poor exchange and be left short. This is especially true at the airport.

    I know that there is a foreign exchange in nearly every big post office and bank in the UK, but they are kind of a ripoff as well.

    The best thing to do is

    1. Bring about $50 U.S with you for your immediate needs such as food and transportation

    2. Use a credit card for major purchases, I know my mastercard give me a pretty fair rate.

    3. Use a bank card and take $$ from ATMs (aka in the UK as a "Hole in the wall")

    If you are able keep a backup credit card/bankcard use in case you loose the one you use frequently.

    Also you can get these belts you can wear under your shirt that have a compartment that can hold important travel documents such as your passport and spare cards..

    Source(s): I did it this way in London and it worked great.
  • 1 decade ago

    change some in England and the most over here . Best is if you take Travelers Checks!!!!!! They are more secure ! Then just go to a bank here to exchange !!!

    Have fun traveling!

  • 1 decade ago

    i live in new york so the best place to change it is there before you go because you probably are gonna need money for a cab and food before you get to your hotel

    good luck and have a great time in new york i know i love it here

  • 1 decade ago

    you can also use a credit card in a new york taxi

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.