Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

How long does erythromycin stay in the human body?

Yesterday, I had gotten a cavity filled and a cleaning. I am a 19 year old woman with a history of Lupus aka SLE and prone to infection. My appointment was at 4 in the afternoon but following my doctor's orders, I had to take the antibiotic an hour before getting any dental procedure done.

IF anyone knows the answer to my question..it would help a lot.

Thanks!

*If a doctor happens to come across this question..that would be super great!

Update:

I'm using Erythromycin because I'm allergic to Penicillin.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm a dentist.

First off, you need to find out from your physician if your systemic lupus erythematosis has caused any defects of your heart valves. If not, then antibiotic prophylaxis is not indicated.

Your doctor has recommended antibiotics for you probably because he wants to be safe when treating you...although I'm wondering why he prescribed you Erythromycin. Amoxicillin is the drug of choice for this purpose, followed by Clindamycin when a patient is allergic to Amox and Azithromycin when the patient is allergic to the first two.

Anyway, the half-life of erythromycin is about 1 to 2 hours. When you take a dose of it, in about 1 to 2 hours, half of it will have been broken down.

• 1 decade ago

Plasma half life of Erythromycin is 1 and half hours

That means it stays in blood for 7 to 8 hours and a little longer in body tissues

Source(s): KD Tripathi 5th Edition Page 687
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.