Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Atheist: are u at all spiritual?

I can understand agnostics (those who do not deny the possibility of God's existence and don't really care) being spiritual, but are you atheists?

Do you reject certain forms of spirituality, including Buddhism? Wicca? Scientology? These are just some philosophies/beliefs a bit off from the mainstream spirituality or actually have beneficial qualities (like Buddhism and mediation).

Favorite Answer

I've always believed that people who buy into the whole religion/faith thing just can't fathom the complexities of the universe. It's not like I'm not connected to the world, though. When I look up at the stars, where some would feel a connection with a god of some sort, I think about all the amazing forces at work that make this universe possible.

When I see a beautiful sunset, I think about what's making that possible, how the light refracts off the atmosphere in certain patterns, etc.

I find fractals to be beautiful.

I guess that's my spirituality, science.

With respect to being atheist/agnostic, I suppose it would defend on your definition of those. I accept that there very well could exist beings higher than ourselves, but none that supercede the laws of nature. Any higher being, miracles, or spiritual experiences of the sort I believe can be explained with science. In that sense, I am an atheist, in that I do not believe in a 'god' that holds ultimate power over the universe.

I am an agnostic and an atheist. I like many of the ideas that are associated with or fundamental to Buddhism. Haven't looked at world religions enough to say more. I don't really know what "spiritual" means to most people, but I guess I am extremely spiritual. I just don't believe in things that I shouldn't. Sometimes I will entertain pet "superstitions" or become a tiny bit obsessive-compulsive, but I won't be self-destructive in doing so. That is, I will throw a pinch of spilled salt over my shoulder for luck, but not if I'm in a hurry to get out of a burning building. When I maintain proper diet and posture, I am less prone to feeling superstitious.

Atheists can be spiritual, but not the same way that most people would consider spiritual. You can have spirituality, the difference is that it wouldn't be supernatural spirituality, it would be a spirituality rooted in physical reality, in the natural universe.

There's no clear set of rules on it, of course. Since atheism isn't a religion each atheist makes up their own mind about what they believe. There are plenty of atheists who would disagree with everything I'm saying here.

Anyway, just because I don't believe in a god doesn't mean that the mysteries of life or the universe are any less fascinating to me (in many ways I would say they are more fascinating). Just because I use rational explanations to understand the world around me doesn't mean that I've found no spiritual truth in the world: There are plenty of spiritual truths with rational explanations.

• I am extremely spiritual. I just don't believe that the christian god is the supreme being of the universe. I believe in spirtuality in nature, i believe in the power of the human spirit and I believe in the teachings from several other cultures and religions, such as Buddhism and the teachings of Jesus. I hold the opinion that Jesus was the first hippy-the first bohemian who had some really good ideas on how to help mankind. I just don't believe that he was the son of god. For me, being an atheist is less about thinking there is no god- i just don't believe in worshiping such a figure.

• VIP

You're confusing religions (Buddhism etc...) with spirituality. Spirituality doesn't have to have rituals or a rule book attached. It's the ability to appreciate life and existence, which is inherent in all of us. It's personal and can't be judged as acceptable or otherwise according to you or anyone else. Once you categorize spirituality, my friend, you ain't talking about it any more.

Buddha isn't a God, and Wicca is an ancient religion based on earth/nature worship. Scientology? Ask L. Ron Hubbard, he got rich off of it.

Just because I don't believe in an Omnipotent, all seeing, all controlling being, doesn't mean I have no spirit.

I'm open to believe anything that can be proven or even if one scintella of evidence is produced. Without proof, the idea of souls, spirits and the supernatural entities is just fanciful thinking. What's good about science is that it's open to new paradigms of physics.

Atheism and spirituality are not really interdependent....

Spirituality needs perception and awareness, more than normal human sensory levels, and no belief etc.

I don't reject any form of spirituality, everyone to his/her beliefs

A believer once said to a non-believer, "You remind me of a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat."

The non-believer said back, "And you remind me of a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there."