Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

What does one has to read to become an archaeologist?

Favorite Answer

You need field school and a bachelor's degree. There are now associate's degree programs for CRM archaeology as well. It helps to read about the area you will be working in, and also about the types of artifacts- points, for instance, or pottery or farm equipment or whatever. But the degree and the field school are essential.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Archaeology. But to become an Archaeologist you would need to attend school. Archaeology deals with all areas of the world, you would need to pick an area you are interested in. My concetration is in the American Midwest. I focused on bone indentification and the emergence of agriculture in Midwestern societies. One of my favorite books is "Twelve Millenia: Archaeology of the Upper Mississippi River Valley" by Theler and Bozhardt. It's very easy to read and follow for those with no Archaeology background. But this focuses on Midwest Archaeology.

Depends on your interests. If you like historic archaeology, I recommend reading and study history. If you like prehistoric archaeology then do a lot of reading on Native Americans...

Some basic great books out there include - Deetz -'In Small Things Forgotten,' Any Ivor Noel Hume's books are great. There are a lot of cheap archaeology textbooks you can get as well.

As someone mentioned before - it take field work experience to become a good archaeologist - so in addition to reading, I would try to get experience in the field - as volunteer or a field school.

I can only comment regarding Egyptian Archaeology.

It involves undertaking a University Course firstly undergraduate then on to the really interesting stuff during the post graduate course.

As you specifically asked about what you are required to read, I will focus on that aspect.

You will have to read the many books and documents required.Many are only available in French and German you have to be able to read those languages,this is because many of the early findings and research books and papers are only available in those languages and of course English. The study of the Coptic language is highly recommended.

You will be taught during your undergraduate studies to decipher and read hieroglyphs to a required level.Also knowledge of hieratic and demonic text will be at least encouraged.

A very good knowledge of geology and high passes in the sciences will assist with your acceptance.

Of course it varies depending on the country and university you study at.

you don't just read a book to become an archaeologist. you could start with an associates such as here: http://www.palomar.edu/archaeology/archaeology__aa...

Archaeology

Old Books

You have to read a few hundred books and get an MA or PhD.

Replace the word "has" with "have". Books are a good thing to read. Then, read my lips.

fossiles