Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

can you play music through a macbook pro laptop while it's closed?

i want to run my speakers through a macbook pro while it's closed and tucked away, which means it'll sometimes be used as a $2000 cd player

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Joshie...In order for your MacBook to run with the lid closed, it needs to have a monitor, keyboard and mouse attached. It might be able to run with either a keyboard OR a mouse, but as far as I know, you need at least one, along with an external monitor.

Here's the Apple document to show you how to do this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=862...

If you use an external display or projector with any MacBook Pro or PowerBook G4 and a USB mouse or keyboard, you can close the display and still use the computer. Here's how.

1- Make sure the computer is plugged in to an outlet using the AC power adapter.

2- Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your computer.

3- Connect the Apple video (VGA or DVI) adapter that came with your computer to the appropriate port on the external display or projector and turn the display or projector on.

4- With the computer turned on and your keyboard or mouse connected, connect the other end of the adapter to the video output port on your MacBook Pro or PowerBook G4.

5- Once your computer's Desktop appears on the external display, close the computer's lid.

6- Once the lid is closed, wake the computer up by either clicking your mouse button or by pressing a key on your keyboard.

You should now be able to use your MacBook Pro or PowerBook G4 as you normally would, using your USB keyboard or mouse.

To disconnect your MacBook Pro or PowerBook G4 from the display after use:

When you're finished using your MacBook Pro, MacBook, or PowerBook in closed-lid mode, the internal display will not function when you open the lid until you have properly disconnected the external display. To properly disconnect the external display, put the computer to sleep and disconnect the display cable from the computer. Open the lid and the computer reactivates the internal display.

Some DVI displays, including Apple's aluminium-framed DVI displays, can be unplugged without putting the computer to sleep. If you aren't sure whether your display supports this feature, put your computer to sleep before unplugging the display.

For Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300...

Source(s): Mac OS Certified Engineer since 1985
  • 1 decade ago

I'd check the system preferences for this or the Apple knowledge database. There might be a setting somewhere that allows you to turn sleep mode on and off when the lid is shut. It'd be no good as a CD player with the lid closed if all you're using for amplification are the built in speakers though.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think you can do this with a Mac.

Using Windows XP you can change what happens when you close the lid of your laptop under the "power options properties" which can be found in the control panel. Goto the advance tab and it is under "power buttons".

MacOS has something similar to power options properties called "Energy Saver".

You can get into Energy Saver by following these steps (ref 1):

1) Log into your computer as the administrator.

2) Click the Apple menu, then select System Preferences.

3) Click Show All, then select Energy Saver from the Hardware section.

4) Click Show Details.

From what I can tell there is no option in Energy Saver to alter what happens when you close the lid on your laptop (the default action is to enter stand by).

I do not own a Mac so you may want to check out the Energy Saver for yourself to see if there is indeed an option.

Here is a guild to what the different options in the Energy Saver do:

http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=mac&s...

• 1 decade ago

I'm pretty sure it, like all laptops, are designed to go into sleep mode when closed and therefore won't work.

BTW, I'm EXTREMELY jealous of your laptop! hehehe

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

To eject an DVD or CD you can do the following: Pres command E Press the Eject button on your keyboard Click the Eject button in the Finders searchbar

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.