Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

missing python?

Around 3:00am my 7 foot rock python got out of his tank. I have been looking for him since about 6:00am. It is very cold outside here so i dont think he would have went out if he even could have. Some one please help with some advice on how to find my snake.

Favorite Answer

i have had snakes all my life and every single one got out (about 7) and all of them were found. The best thing you can do is get the heating lamp and put it about 1-2 feet above an open space in your house and leave it there with the container of water from the tank next to it. Put something around the light like flour or food dye on the ground and when the snake goes their to warm up and u dont see him, ull see where he goes. good luck

In a way it is a shame your snake is small, harder to find!

At one time we had a snake rescue, many pythons being thrown away at 12', usually the Burmese.

Check under your refrigerator for starts. We had a 14er in who would stick her head under the refer for the warmth. She never could grasp that we could SEE HER lol!

Also do you have a furness? Check there. You are right, your snake is not going to go outside unless someone or something made it.

Oh under the dishwasher! Around your hot water heater, and anywhere there is hot water pipes. The little ones will wrap around these.

Good luck and if your home has no rodent problems he/she will get hungry some time, If you do have a rodent problem you wont for long lol! Remember they can go a VERY long time without eating! We lost a ball python who got out, it was a good year later we found it! Birds are also at risk so if you have pet birds keep them safe!

You will find him/her keep looking :0)

dark, cozy, warm places-- under an entertainment center- maybe a cabinet or cubby hole near a heater vent-- possibly in a heater vent- we had a much smaller balled python pull that trick once!-- around the tv or dvd player- anything that puts off heat- laundry room- but if he's in the house, he'll get hungry eventually and with a 7 foot snake, I'd bet you'll spot something!

OMG! I hope he's not hungry. Over the summer, some guys found one in the woods here in Indiana!!! I think it was about 20ft long, if that was possible. All three guys held it at the same time and they were spaced apart pretty far. What a shock to find it in Indiana, tho. It was, most definitely, someones pet. Hope you find him soon or run out the front door!!!

check the top of the clothes dryer, the window sills and behind the oven and refridgerator. They love warm places. My sons python often got out and we would always find him on window sills. Occasionally they like to curl up in dark warm corners so look in closets and by the water heater as well.

Check under all your appliances in closets under your heaters, under beds, check your dryer vent hose my snake used to go up inside my dryer because of the heater coils, You'll find your snake it will search out a warm spot to warm up.

just look in tight warm places, corners, behind toilets, stuff like that

check under your mattress that is where my friend found hers when she lost it! Good Luck