Dr. Jones is saving money to help defray the cost of sending her children to college.?

Dr. Jones is saving money to help defray the cost of sending her children to college. How much does she need to invest now at 6.75% compounded quarterly if she wants the accumulated value to be $16000 in 9 years?

Please explain.

Favorite Answer

Shame, Roxy L, you only got one part out of three correct.

Yes, the growth factor per quarter is 1.016875, so the growth factor over 9 years (= 36 quarters, not 32) is the quarterly factor multiplied by itself 36 times, which comes to 1.826554...

But Dr. Jones says she wants to FINISH with $16000, so she should start now with $16000 / 1.826554 = $8759.66.

the first idea that got here to my ideas upon interpreting this placed up became a million. WHY is college classes fee is united statesa. ridiculously severe priced? WHY do faculties favor a lot money? a school isn't a business corporation like Apple or Microsoft. My sister will graduate from her 4 years of faculty quickly and the completed coast of classes pee paid in the time of those 4 years....is OMG too a lot. the quantity is extremely somewhat as a lot because the U.S. nationwide debt. 2. do faculties truly favor fairly some money? 3. united statesa. is at the moment dealing with an monetary disaster; it really is envisioned to be between the worst ever in U.S. heritage. So unemployment is a increasing situation, the monetary gadget is getting spoiled and there are extra possibility free electorate suffering under the poverty line. and that i'm no longer hostile to the authorities although the federal authorities doesn't seem sorting it out properly. i do not comprehend that a lot about the ecnonomy, so I discovered from my sister (she's a corporation / economics substantial) and that i will tell that the rustic, the monetary gadget and so on are all dealing with a disaster. Soo....i do not comprehend yet till the authorities supplies you to love help the undesirable pay for school or something I strongly advise that faculties do no longer advance classes costs. otherwise...united statesa. will face a good worse tutorial disaster. Does the stuff I typed make experience? wish it does. And......the reliable information is that the severe priced classes fee paid to an really good college became surely properly worth it in view that my sister were given an really good interest 2 weeks previously commencement.