Should we keep the electoral college?

I think the electoral college is very outdated. I know the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I think the system is indeed broken. A significant number of Presidents have gotten into office without a majority consent, so this is not a democracy. (I'm pro-Bush, but I still believe he should not have been elected without the popular majority). It is possible for a president to have nearly three times the vote of the other candidate, but not win (in an unlikely but posible situation). This should not be allowed.

Do you agree/disagree?

Why should we get rid of it?/keep it?

• jerry
    Best Answer

Here is why we can't get rid of it completely. You would have the major urban populations (NY, Chicago, Dallas, LA/SF) controlling a large amount of the vote. Politicians could pander to those areas only and nearly win an election. The electorial college keeps the smaller states as a part of the process. Just as how in 2000, New York City outvoted the rest of the state and picked the Senator.

Second, remember what happened in 2000? Hundreds of lawyers flocked to Florida for its electorial votes and tied up the election for over a month. Imagine no electoral college...That would happen EVERYWHERE. After all, a few dozen votes in Florida are the same as a few dozen votes in Maine. So lawyers would be hoping around the country, challenging a few votes here and a few votes there, hoping to pick up a bunch in a close election. Under the electoral college, you can confine challenges down significantly.

Get rid of the electoral college. Elect presidents like we elect governors. And btw, I voted for Bush in 2000, too. But I didn't vote at all in 2004 and I'll probably never vote again.

You're just now figuring out we're in a representative republic? Memory fades, but that puts you in what, maybe 8th grade? Well done post for your age! Yes, the electoral college was put in place to ensure even the least populous states retain some political power, and this is still valid. Democracy is two lions and a lamb deciding what's for dinner.

"a significant number of Presidents have gotten into office without a majority consent"

Only 4 times has a candidate lost a majority vote, but won the presidency.

Not exactly significant.

George W. Bush got elected thanks to the electoral college. the majority voted for Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. The results speak for themselves.

We need to keep the electoral college or population shifts will allow certain states to have all the power. The reasons for it are the reasons to keep it. This "is" a time that it doesn't need to be messed with or fixed.

I think we should since it has been our system for so long but I do understand the argument of the popular vote

WE NEED TO KEEP IT IF NOT CALIFORNIA AND NEW YORK WOULD DECIDE EVERY ELECTION

• cork

tube it.........