Lipstick asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

is hydrocodone a generic brand for vicodin? im taking hydrocodone for some wisdom teeth that were removed?

and im looking up side effects to see if its whats making me itchy... but when i google it i see vicodin... whats up with that? any other warnings that you might have for those who are familar with taking it would be apprecciated.. thank you

Update:

i read the warnings but it didnt say anything about itching... thats why i was looking it up

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, It will make you itchy thats very common and a sign that it is working. Hydrocodone is a ingredient in Vicodin (opiate) You can get it in generic either way but theres no difference. Have a couple beers sit back and relax j/k LOL The same neuropathways that make you itch also are the same that alleviate pain. Worst thing that will happen is you will itch your nose raw. Actually stay away from anything that effects your liver like alcohol or acetometaphine and dont listen to that idiot who said to stop taking it if you itch...what a moron!!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hydrocodone is the medical term for vicodin. Don't drink and take vicodin. Sometimes it makes my stomach upset, so make sure you eat enough food with it. Sorry to hear that you got your wisdom teeth removed... hope you feel better soon!

• 1 decade ago

Hi, Sandrita...

Yes, Vicodin is a hydrocodone/APAP mixture. APAP is basically acetominephen or Tylenol. Vicodin is pretty much the same as Lortab, if you're more familiar with that.

I can give you the possible SE:confusion, nausea, vomiting,dry mouth, constipation,urinary retention,and in sensitive individuals...possible itching, rashes, wheals and anaphylaxis and hypotension.

Mild itchiness isn't that uncommon....how bad is yours? Maybe check in with your dentist if it's worrysome.

Hope this helps.

• Cobalt
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Vicodin is just hydrocodone and tylenol together. And if it's making you itchy, stop taking it and just take tylenol or aleve instead. (Do NOT take more than the maximum dose!)

Added: Itching is a potential side effect of all opiods, including hydrocodone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hydrocodone is the name of the compound that gives the pain relief. it is a synthetic morphine deriviative. Vicodan, lortab. norco or the generic names for the compound of hydrocodone and acetemenphen(tylenol). These can all be made by different manufactures. (Watson, mallencrot, ect...) Itching is one side effect. A small dose os benadryl (with DR's ok) may help with the itch. Hope you feel better.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, Vicodin IS hydrocodone. Don't get addicted to it or take more than the directed amount.

• 1 decade ago

yes hydrocodone is a generic brand for vicodin

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Vicodin is trade name for hydrocodone plus acetaminophen.

• 1 decade ago

We would normally tell our patients to just take Motrin or other NSAIDs (anti-inflammatory since most extraction pain is from inflammation/swelling) and just save the narcotic for night in case you can't sleep. If you're really concerned just call the dentist and let them know your side effect and see if there's a substitute.

Source(s): USAF Dental Assistant Veteran (1998-2006)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, that is the generic brand. But wherw in this day and age did you obtain a RX. without info. attached.This info clearly list possoble side effects, warning, etc. Or you could just pick up the phone and ask the pharmacist at the drug store where you got the RX. in the first place. If in fact thats where you got it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.