what is the difference between a same-sex marriage and a civil union?

• Alexis
    Favorite Answer

There are multiple legal differences involved. I have seen many people say that "marriage is in the church" and "God, blah, blah, blah". This is not true. I am legally married to my wife in MA and have more rights under the law than someone in VT. There are many things that important for the future, but I can name three things that come with Marriage that do not come with a Civil Union that important to us right now:

1. The ability to put my wife on my company's health insurance without question. Under Civil union companies can choose if they want to offer this benefit.

2. The ability to make medical decisions for my wife, if she is unable to. With a Civil Union hospitals do not have to listen to you, they can refuse to let you in to visit them - you may be treated as a "friend".

Both of these items came into use 2 months after our wedding when my wife had to have emergency surgery, had we not been married they would have had to wait for her mother to sign for permission - she may have died in that time.

3. When it is time for us to have children I am going to be the one giving birth. She will automatically be their other parent - giving our children all of the rights (medical, inheritance, etc) that the children of heterosexual couples take for granted.

If we were in a Civil Union or not Married my Wife would have to go through the long process of adopting our children.

As I have said, there are many more rights that come with Marriage and not with Civil Union - there is a difference.

We did not get married in a church, we did not force anyone to attend that did not want to, so I want to know how my marriage harms anyone else.

as for legally it depends on the definitionof the civil union. it can be legally the same as a marriage. The real difference if the fact that a civil union seperates non hetro people from all others and says they are not entitled to do whatever hetro person has the right to do

Civil unions generally do not have all the rights associated with marriage.

Marriage is a covenant between two people before God. A civil union is a legal arrangement.

Yeah, what is the differnce between a marriage and a civil union????

Marriage is in the Church and civil in the judges chamber?????

Chile I hope someone here knows cause I don't

Gay marriage would give the same benefits to a gay couple that it would give to a straight couple. Such as tax breaks and lower insurance cost.

i say nothing. marriage happens when two people that love each other romanticly so much that they want to become one. and i've said before here on yahoo!answers that yes at one time homosexuality was an unforgivable sin. but Jesus came so that no man will ever die again. that means that as long as you believe in God/Jesus/Holy Spirit (Trinity), you will not perish but go to heaven.

Political correctness!

EQUALITY