Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysHanukkah · 1 decade ago

Do I send a Hanukah, Hannukah, Chanukah card, or not??

Do I send a Hanukah card, or not??

I am not Jewish, but I have acquaintances who are. Is it appropriate to acknowledge Hanukah by sending them a "Happy Hanukah" card...since I can't send them a Christmas card. Or would it be inappropriate, since again, I'm not Jewish. Thanks in advance.

OXYMORONGRRLLLLLL3333333!!

I think you DEFINITELY over thought this. OMG!! (stands for Oh MY GAWD!!) And the fact that you aren't even Jewish?? How would you know?!! Sorry. But your answer felt more like a sermon. Just for the record.

Dear Morongrlll - It is a simple greeting card. Not a political or religious statement. If you are NOT Jewish and celebrating Hanukkah, NOT Christian and celebrating Christmas..then perhaps you don't quite 'get' that sending someone a card to wish them well on the religious holiday they celebrate is meant as a happy greeting, not as an acknowledgement that their religion is "okay", not as an accessory like a watch, or whatever else it is you went rambling on and on about. And in answer to your final question...yes. When compared with the 20 page over-analysis you just babbled on and on about, I would prefer a 5 word answer without further explanation. But thanks for the input. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HANUKKAH TO YOU AND YOURS!!

OOPS!! I meant "Dear Oxymorongrllll." That was not meant to be derogatory. Please excuse.

ZANA - Thanks for your thoughtful and knowing response. I have a personal question for you regarding this issue. If you would not mind e-mailing me at elle55407@yahoo.com, I would be so thankful! It is very important. Thank you again for taking the time to write a knowledgeable and respectful response.

Favorite Answer

I'm Jewish, and I think I would appreciate the gesture.

I am Jewish and you are right to be concerned about how actions might be received because religion is a touchy subject. The thing that is hard to ignore is that every person feels differently - all Jews would not view this in the same way, so I am speaking for myself.

Here is my advice:

If it is a work or other group environment where you plan to give something to everyone, I personally am very appreciative when the giver notes that I am Jewish...even if the gift is Christmas cookies. Also I recomend timing the giving of gifts to coincide with Chanukah, this year that will be easy, but some years, Chanukah is over way before Christmas.

If it is a situation where you are just sending out 100 Christmas cards, but also want to send a card to some Jewish friends, well that's trickier. It is not tradiational for Jews to send out dozens of Chanukah cards to friends and family. Each year I might get 3 Chanukah cards, all from non-Jews (no it does not in anyway insult me or make ne feel weird - that would be a pretty strange reaction). I also get Christmas cards from friends who note a Chanukah wish inside - this is not at all offensive to me unless the Christmas card is of a strongly religious nature.

In summary, it is probably better off to call or stop by and say "Hi" and verbally give your wishes. If you are not close enough with these people to do that, then you should not feel a need to send a card either because it would not be expected.

I hope that helps!

P.S. - Chanukah is NOT a major Jewish holiday. It celebrates a minor miracle and is not deeply significant to most Jews, so there really is a low chance of offense. The MOST offensive thing to me is when people who know I am Jewish ignore that fact. You are on the right track by being so thoughtful.

• bedaw

Chanukah Cards

• Good wishes are always appropriate. It shows even more thoughtfulness to send a Chanukah card to a Jewish person when you, yourself are not Jewish. It is in very good taste and proper etiquette

• KathyS

A hanukkah card is fine or you can also send a secular holiday card (a card with maybe a winter scene and inside it says happy hoidays)

Most people would think of it as very thoughtful you are recognizing their holiday but like I said, a happy holidays card is fine as well.

the fact that you'd go out of your way to pick of a hanukah card when you are not jewish... if someone did that to me I'd be a little weirded out and like they'd done something to make my religion seem "okay"... I don't need to feel okay about my regligion! I already do! (that's what I'd think). I'd "get" also that they were just trying to keep in contact and wish my a happy holiday season, which would be nice. I would not be offended to just get a christmas card. There's nothing offensive about that. You wouldn't be pushing your relgion on me, not necessarily. I know you know I'm not a christian. The point of the card is not to celebrate the relgion IN THIS COUNTRY. And perhaps that is sad, but that is another discussion.

If you're really concerned, I'd get a "happy holidays" card. No mention of relgion. That takes care of feeling awkward by both parties.

(I'm not actually Jewish)

***EDIT****

also, if you DO get a Happy Hannukah card... and they KNOW you're not Jewish... well, that just shows that the card absolutely carries NO WEIGHT in terms of promoting religion or the "reason for the season". That kind of kills that for your christian cards as well. Because you're catering and being "PC" like it's an accessory like a watch or something. Then, in addition to being weirded out, and possibly offended, (though I'd still be touched by your gesture no matter what), I'd think you were a tool/douche bag.

But that's just me. :) You could put a little note in your christmas card acknowledging that you know they are Jewish, coupled with a message about friendship. That would clear things up, depending on what you wrote. How about "Hi (so and so), I know this is a christmas card, but I wanted to let you know that I hope you have a great holiday season! You mean a lot to me (or you're a great friend, or whatever) and I look forward to more good times. - (your name here). That note wouldn't include anything about WHY you were insecure about sending a card, it just acknowledges that obvious in a graceful way and MAKES SURE they know that you are in fact sending the card NOT to promote a religion but to establish a happy greeting.

Just get a happy holidays card to avoid every thing above. No will will notice and you can avoid the topic.

Haha... way too much though put into this. Good luck.

***EDIT***

lmao

Yes. Way too much thought. for ME. Do you really want answers with five words and no explaination? I don't know about you, but I like to THINK once in a while. I wouldn't just take some random answer and go "okay!" otherwise, why ask?

As for not being Jewish... Huh? Do Jewish people have special genes or something and somehow WOULD react differently in such a way that I could never put myself in their shoes? Do you think they're part giraffe?

Perhaps their is somethink in their texts about this, something part of the actual religion, that might be an excuse to require a special thought behind inter-religious communication. But hey... guess what? Their texts are your texts. The old testament is their bible and the beginning of yours.

lol. have a good night.

****EDIT****

for the sake of wasting my night away CLEARLY now unconstructively, and for entertainment purposes... :)

If the religious component wasn't at all a concern, the question wouldn't exist. Clearly the religious component is a concern... So what's the problem? I thought I was addressing possible concerns by both parties. I was in no way implying that all possibilities were occuring.

I'm not arguing that the card shows happy greetings. This IS the point, I totally agree. So glad you were reading.

I was just trying to help you out. So sorry. (not really) *shaking my head like you're effing crazy*

I would send it. You don't have to be Jewish to send a Chanukah card to someone who is. I'm a Humanist, and I've been sending Christmas cards to my Christian friends, Chanukah cards to my Jewish friends, and Yule/Winter Solstice cards to my neopagan friends for years. To me, cards are good wishes in recognition of who THE RECIPIENTS are, which includes their faith; it's not about me and what I believe. It's simply a way of saying, "I hope you enjoy this season of joy."

I know by personal expirience that it is totally okay to sent a card with Mery Christmas if it is one of those card/picture things

That is totally normal.

I mean if it is not than i mean it probably wont be so appopriate to send them a card for a holiday they dont celebrate.

But a picture/card thing that shows that you care and the picture is like a present.

i take advantage of a documents superhighway provider to do all the artwork for me. I upload my teenagers image and then create the cardboard. Then they print, stuff, and mail it for me. lots relaxing! It expenses me approximately .ninety six consistent with card to deliver at the same time with postage. So it quite is like procuring a card on the greenback keep and then skipping out on postage. i do no longer cut back returned on taking part in cards because of the fact i like the trip trips. Merry Christmas!

Most people would take that very nicely...there are tons of people who don't believe in Christ, yet they send Christmas cards :)