Trippy asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

what exactly is TMJ and can it keep you from being able to open your mouth?

i havn't been able to open my jaw for a few days, and some one told me i probably have TMJ. what is that?

Favorite Answer

TMJ is the joint, not the disorder. That is TMD.

Some people are problems with their jaw popping, and it is basically when the bones in the joint are "clicking" against each. It can wear out and tear the ligaments in the jaw joint.

It is possible that you have a problem with your joint, but there is no way to tell you this on here. You need to let a dentist, or TMJ specialist, take a look at it.

Source(s): dental assistant for 10 yrs

Tempero-Mandibular Joint

Basically it is the two joints that connect the jaw to the skull.

My mom has TMJ and her jaw sometimes locks open, OR closed, and her jaw is in constant pain. She takes meds for it.

If you think you have TMJ you should see your doctor.

• Nicole

You should probably see your doctor to be sure. My friend went to the doctor and they told her that TMJ was a dental problem and that she would have to go to the dentist to have them break her jaw and relocate it.. (crazy sounding, i know!!!) Later on, she went to the dentist and they told her that popping in the jaw is normal for girls in their early 20's... Just thought i'd share that with you, but since you said you couldn't open it.. i'd see the doc.

See a doctor. They will probably have you take

advil several times a day since it is an anti-inflammatory

medication. It will go away then sometimes return

(hopefully not too much though). But DON'T just take

the advil... go to a doctor since advil in large amounts has

other complications the doctor can make sure you are

not prone to (for example it changes how blood clots).

I think, level of consciousness makes all the difference between ordinary men and gods or enlightened beings. Both men and gods or enlightened beings are similar because have the same type of physical bodies that inherit an equal potential.

I dont know what it is but if you could bottle it and sell it to men for use on thier wives you would be one rich sucker.