What is the origin of the term "Baby Back Ribs"?
Details of why Baby Back Ribs are called this name and where did it come from?
- Serinity4u2findLv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
Baby back ribs is a play on words. Baby meaning that the ribs are a smaller size and of course back is because of the position of where the ribs come from. When I was stationed in Germany I found out that Europeans don't eat ribs, they find it barbaric. Which was great for us Americans because their butchers would sell us a whole bag of ribs really cheap or even free.
- 1 decade ago
Hope these recipes help you:
Baby Back Ribs
(4 to 6 servings)
3 tablespoons season salt
4 pounds baby back ribs
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon season salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Sprinkle season salt on both sides of ribs. Place the ribs in a shallow glass baking dish and cover. Refrigerate for 2 hours. In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; simmer over medium heat about 10 minutes. Heat grill for medium coals. Brush ribs with sauce. Grill ribs for 45 to 50 minutes or until ribs are tender, turning and basting with sauce every 10 minutes.
The best thing that ever happened to a baby back.
• 3 fat garlic cloves, peeled • 3 Tbs cider vinegar
• 1 Tbs kosher salt • 3 Tbs peanut oil
• 1 Tbs black mustard seeds* • 2 tsp ground hot pepper (I use chipotle*) - this will make the ribs spicy; add more or less to taste
• 12 juniper berries* • 3 slabs baby back ribs (1.5 to 2 lbs. each), membrane removed
• 1 Tbs coarsely ground black peppercorns
• 3 Tbs brown sugar
• The rub is best made with a stone mortar & pestle, but a small food processor can be used.
• Mash the garlic and salt into a paste in the mortar. (The salt helps the garlic break down.)
• Add the juniper berries and mustard seeds, crushing them as thoroughly as possible with the pestle.
• Add remaining ingredients and stir well to blend.
*Available through spice catalogs such as Penzeys.
• Work the rub into the ribs at least an hour before cooking. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate. These don't need to sit overnight, but can be rubbed 3-4 hours in advance.
• About 45 minutes before you plan to start cooking, place the ribs in the freezer (for maximum smoke penetration).
• Cook according to your desired method. I do them over direct heat (with hickory and apple for smoke), dome temp of around 250, in a rib rack.
• They usually take 3 to 3.5 hours. Midway through I rotate the rack, and flip the ribs if the end toward the coals is getting brown.
• Let them sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Hope you enjoy these yummy ribs.
- duchaneLv 44 years ago
for the reason that evolution did have an beginning place, i think of that Darwin's use of the be conscious beginning place is extra encompassing. The be conscious evolution is enormously plenty a given it particularly is used to describe the beginning place besides because of the fact the evolution.
- 1 decade ago
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
prolly da dirty south