What is the difference between .daa, .iso, and .bin?

What are the advantages of copying a cd to the hard drive in any particular one of these formats?

I noticed that i backed up a disk of mine to my harddrive in iso form and it took less space than a bin file. Why??

that didnt really answer my question. I need a technical answer. How does one backing up in one particaular format benefit me?

Xsilverx has answered my question. thanks! i could use some information on the .daa format though.

Favorite Answer

those are different file extensions that programs use to identify what type of file it is. The .daa and .iso are data arrchive files that cd burning programs will use when you backup cds to your hard drive. It is a compressed, encrypted file that only specific programs can read. The .bin file is a binary file, meaning that the information is litterally stored as 1's and 0's. .bin files are used by programs, operating systems, etc. The reason the .iso file is smaller then the .bin is because the .iso is a more complex and compressed way of storing the data. the .bin file like i said is all 1's and 0's which is what the computer really uses to process data. So every letter, symbol, action you do on a computer is turned into a series of 1's and 0's for the computer to process. Every letter for example is represented as a series of 8 1's and 0's. so A for example is 01000001. So if you typed out a sentence what would take up less space on the paper. Hello World. Or the 1's and 0's that represent the letters and symbols in that sentence. So that is why the .iso is smaller because it is in essence the complete sentences versus just the 1's and 0's. Hope that helps

The biggest advantage by copying the file to the hard drive rather than the cd right away is because...

1. It saves it

2. If it burns wrong or fails you have it right there and you try again.

3. PC gets shut off rut roh, another wasted disc

The formats .daa .iso and .bin are image formats for burning onto a cd.

.bin is like a .wav its a larger file for the same amount of "objects"

the .iso is like .mp3 its smaller file for the same amount of "objects"

An .iso is a compressed file of many files so its smaller and takes up less space on a disc only real advatage.

It's just formatted differently, its a newer version of that format

different letters