What is the origin of the term "drawers", in reference to underwear?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Oh snap I never thought about it but I call my underwears drawers often and now to find out it from womens underwear SNAP!!!! Dang I might have to go back to calling them underwears or boxers or boxer-briefs LOL thanks for the info..

  • 1 decade ago

    The corset was usually worn over a thin shirt-like garment of cotton or muslin called a shift. In the latter half of the 19th Century, long drawers, called pantalettes or pantaloons, often accompanied the shift to keep the legs out of sight as skirts styles got shorter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.