Georgia Peach asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What can you do about the shedding of my dog's hair?

Every day i have to constantly sweep becuase my dog sheds so much hair. all this hair he sheds you would think he'd be bald. plz help

Favorite Answer

1. He could be shedding his winter coat, but winter is just starting here so I dont know....

2. He could be lacking the nutrients he needs in his food. Consult a vet and ask him what could be wrong. He may want to examine or test the dog for any worms, or sicknesses. Or he may just prescribe you some medication, or ask you to add some more to his diet like add some olive oil or diffrent nutrients that he may need into his food.

3. Get one of those swiffer things and sticky rollers to pick up the hair easier rather than a broom. ( just some adivice)

I hope your dog gets better soon, bye!!!

What breed of dog do you have? We have corgis and they shed, all day, every day, like a dead christmas tree. Daily brushing is an absolute must to cut down on the hair in the house. There is also a supplement that you can add to their food. It's called Mrs. Allen's Shed-Stop. You can find it at the pet store, sometimes Wal-Mart or K-Mart, maybe Target. The only downfall to this stuff is that you have to feed it for about 4 weeks before you will see a difference. It does work though! Frequent warm baths also helps to cut down on the shedding.

You didn't say what breed of dog you have. Some dogs you can use a shedding blade on which will help remove some of the old hair. Ask a local groomer what to use on your dog. Brush your dog every day, a few times a day. Check with your Vet about any recommended supplements in case excessive shedding can be lessened that way.

If you are feeding a dog food with fillers and by-products plus something your dog is allergic to, that can increase shedding too.

Some good types of food:

Nature's Recipe

Authority Harvest Baked

Royal Canin

These are a few of a number of different brands that are great. One of my dogs has allergies and I feed her Venison and Rice, Nature's Recipe.

Skin and coat are the best indicators if your dog is getting the nutrients it needs out of its diet. Of course some breeds do shed continuosly, but you can reduce it.

So, if your dog is not showing you a healthy and shiny coat change to a premium food, brush daily, and make sure he is parasite free.

See websites below for more info-some shocking!

I have a shedder too. I bathe him regularly and use a small amount of hairspray on him after each weekly bath in order to keep things in place.

However if you have an eskimo or northern variety this may not be great advise, since they are serious shedders!

I charge $35 an hour for vacuuming.