Car won't turn off?

I have a Olsmobile Cutless Cierra..It won't shut off. I was parking my car and when I went to turn it off the key in the ignition won't turn off. help!

Favorite Answer

Sounds like you need a new ignition. I had a car that did that once.

• You didn't say what year the car was , but to shut the car off until you fix the problem you could either 1 pull the coil wire off this will shut the engine off or 2 if the car is fuel injected you can pull the fuse out for the ECM this will shut the car off too. neither of these two things will damage your car. I hope this will help Also, if you look under the hood you will see a box labled Relay box inside this box you will see large square relays each relay is labled on the underside of the cover as to what it does. find one labled FUEL PUMP RELAY and pull it out of the socket. this will suht the power off to the fuel pump and with no fuel the engine will shut off! When you want to start it agan all you have to do is plug the relay back in place. this will in no way damage your car. It sounds to me like the problem is your ignition swich and they are expencive to replace as the stearing collom has to be dissasembled to replace it. I had mine replaced at a shop and it cost me $356.00. But you can do the things I have segested in the meen time to have time to save up the money for the repair and still be able to use your car. When you remove the FUEL PUMP RELAY from the box just keep it with you and no one will be able to steel your car even if the key is in the collom as the car wont start without fuel and the chance of a car theef of haveing a fuel pump relay for your car in his pocket isnt likely!.

the ignition switch is bad, the tumblers have fallen and need replaced. Just replace the switch ( at any auto zone, car quest etc.) and you'll be fine....