Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Christmas Book?

What's a good Christmas book for me to read? Last year I read The Christmas Box and I wanted to start a tradition of reading a Christmas book every year when the season came around.

Favorite Answer

I highly HIGHLY recommend "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham. It's the funniest book I've ever read. The movie "Christmas With the Kranks" was based on it. The movie kinda sucked, actually. However, the book is wonderful!

This is a poem that is also a small book.

Although the book is very, very short and thin,

it is the best Christmas reading you will ever do,

if your aim is to understand the true meaning of the holiday. I have sent a copy to each of my friends and loved ones. I read it every year.

Maya Angelou's _Amazing Peace_

It will become one of those books that become a tradition within your tradition.

For something more substantial, try _The Little Big Book of Christmas_ by Lena Tabori. 352 pages later, you will be thinking nothing but Christmas for the rest of the year.

'Christmas Carol' by Dickens is a great read at this time of the year, but if you want something a bit lighter 'The more the Merrier' by Anne Fine ( it's a kid's book) is a funny story about a traditional family Christmas when 10 relatives come to stay and all havoc breaks loose.

"The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson was a childhood favorite of mine. Even if you're all grown up, it's still a fun, warm-hearted little read.

I'm going with "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham as well... need a laugh in a hectic season? Here you go. AND it'll give you pause for thought... it's not all a joke...

• bligen

The nighttime before Christmas, The Christmas mouse, The Littlest Angel, Santa Clause is Coming to city, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the first Christmas, The Little Christmas Tree, and Bears Firsts Christmas.