How can you tell the sex of a deer by looking at the tracks left? I heard that doe's leave a different "patte

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've heard that some people think they can tell the sex of a deer by looking at its tracks but I have never seen anyone who can do it with enough regularity for it to have any meaning. The most often heard method is to look for wider tracks and the presence of dew claws. Supposedly, the buck has a wider track with dew claw prints while the doe had a narrower track without dew claws. This doesn't hold up in actual practice because the wider track only means that the deer was a bit larger than another deer with a more narrow track. It has nothing to do with the sex of the deer. A big doe with a yearling fawn will leave a wider track than the yearling fawn even if it is a male. Now, I have to admit, if you see an exceptionally wide track with the presence of dew claws, it most likely is a buck simply because bucks tend to be larger than does. A big deer leaves a wider track than a smaller deer regardless of its sex. I've also heard that there is some difference between doe droppings and buck droppings but I have never seen anyone who could actually tell the difference. Deer droppings all look the same to me and I have seen a lot of deer droppings. Turkey droppings are another thing. There is a definite difference between gobbler droppings and hen droppings but you didn't ask about turkey droppings.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How can you tell the sex of a deer by looking at the tracks left? I heard that doe's leave a different "patte

Source(s): sex deer tracks left heard doe 39 leave quot patte: https://biturl.im/KOwRX
  • stout
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Deer Dew Claws

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A male deer does have the 'Dew' claws..... go here to see......http://www.robson.org/whopooped/s-deer.html

The female dosent have these little oval claws plus the female deer claws are very close together, the bucks are separated wider.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can tell the age but there is no way to tell the sex of a deer by the tracks. Sorry, hope this helps....

• 1 decade ago

I don't think you really can. Though i've heard that does pick up their feet when they walk, so in snow if their are drag marks its a buck. or the other way around, i'm not for positive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bucks have a wider track and they have a dew claw, a doe has more narrow track with no dew claw.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.