IS doing yoga haram in ISLAM?

Hi all,

I have been doing yoga for almost 3 years. It has benefited me tremendously by help lossing weight, help in stress, concentrate and make me flexible. I am a Muslim and not even once I have had a feeling that I am being forced to a religion or even said anything from hindu relegion. It is jsut great and easy excercise.

So am i doing haram if I am practising ISLAM?

Please give me your opinions. Thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As in so many things, it depends.

If the focus of your concentration during yoga is Allah, then of course you are doing nothing wrong; yoga then complements Islam.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

no its not haram!! i cant believe some people are saying it is! show some proof!! its a form of exercise and nothing more! I do yoga and pilates 3 times a week! I feel healthier and more flexible. People are saying its haram because it originated from hindu beliefs and such, but youre not using it as a prayer..youre using it to strengthen your muscles. I dont get it..are they expecting someone to become a weaker muslim because of yoga? It's not haram to take GOOD things from other cultures.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not at all, you're simply caring for your body using a very beneficial exercise. The tenets of sorts behind yoga is more philosophy than religion. I've even seen a few of my Muslim friends throw themselves completely into the beliefs of the orient, especially Confucianism. Harmony and balance are not contradictory to the prophet and God.

• Shossi
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yoga is not a religion. You are doing nothing to go against Islam. Yoga is a relaxation technique.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I also do Yoga and I am a muslim. I have never felt that this was wrong.... I use this time also to make dua when my body and mind are in tune and think better

Source(s): I am (Muslim) ther for I submit (to Allah)
  • 1 decade ago

personally i don't think it's haram...cause it's a kind of excercise....it's not something liked to a nother religion...but I'm not gonna give fatwa here...you might ask someone who really knows not here in Y!answers....like call "sheak" if you now what I mean..It's arabic word..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ofcourse not .

if it was dangerous for you en others that would be Haram .

you see it's not ...

enjoy yoga .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no

• 1 decade ago

dunno

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.