IS doing yoga haram in ISLAM?

Hi all,

I have been doing yoga for almost 3 years. It has benefited me tremendously by help lossing weight, help in stress, concentrate and make me flexible. I am a Muslim and not even once I have had a feeling that I am being forced to a religion or even said anything from hindu relegion. It is jsut great and easy excercise.

So am i doing haram if I am practising ISLAM?

Please give me your opinions. Thanks

Favorite Answer

As in so many things, it depends.

If the focus of your concentration during yoga is Allah, then of course you are doing nothing wrong; yoga then complements Islam.

• Linda

no its not haram!! i cant believe some people are saying it is! show some proof!! its a form of exercise and nothing more! I do yoga and pilates 3 times a week! I feel healthier and more flexible. People are saying its haram because it originated from hindu beliefs and such, but youre not using it as a prayer..youre using it to strengthen your muscles. I dont get it..are they expecting someone to become a weaker muslim because of yoga? It's not haram to take GOOD things from other cultures.

Not at all, you're simply caring for your body using a very beneficial exercise. The tenets of sorts behind yoga is more philosophy than religion. I've even seen a few of my Muslim friends throw themselves completely into the beliefs of the orient, especially Confucianism. Harmony and balance are not contradictory to the prophet and God.

• Shossi

Yoga is not a religion. You are doing nothing to go against Islam. Yoga is a relaxation technique.

I also do Yoga and I am a muslim. I have never felt that this was wrong.... I use this time also to make dua when my body and mind are in tune and think better

Source(s): I am (Muslim) ther for I submit (to Allah)

personally i don't think it's haram...cause it's a kind of excercise....it's not something liked to a nother religion...but I'm not gonna give fatwa here...you might ask someone who really knows not here in Y!answers....like call "sheak" if you now what I mean..It's arabic word..

ofcourse not .

if it was dangerous for you en others that would be Haram .

you see it's not ...

enjoy yoga .

no

dunno