How do i know if my head is bad in my car?

My car blows white smoke and my oil looks like musturd. if i put antifrezze in it,it looks like im spraying the town 4 misqetoes. i dont wanna spen any money on a new head cause it is an old car but the only car i have..so i have 2 fix it..can u tell me if my head is ruint from what i have told you? or is it a head gasket hopefully

Favorite Answer

Several things can cause head gasket failure. If you remove the head to replace the gasket (which you have to do anyway) you will know if the head (or block for that matter) is cracked. If your lucky the head will be slightly warped (check with a straight edge on the machined surface once the head is removed). If so you should be able to have the head ''shaved'' (remachined) at your local machine shop for under 50 bucks. That along with a new head gasket and you should be on your way (with a little more pep too!).

Source(s): LIFE

Crop dusting? LOL well you need to provide more information to get an answer.

1) Engine type?

2) Did you drive it hot hoping you would make it home?

If you dont wanna fix it and the car isnt worth a nickel, put oatmeal in the radiator to stop up the head gasket leak. I like using Maple Brown Sugar smells good when the car heats up.

Fixing it properly, take the head off, bring it to a headshop have it tested for cracks if there are no crack have the head shaved to ensure a flat service, replace gasket.

Yep, your head gasket is gone. Don't drive it because if you overheat it, it can ruin the heads forever.

To get that fixed is going to cost you anywhere from $300-$1000 depending on the car.

well you blown a head gasket.take it off and run a straight edge across the head,or take it to a machine shop,they will know what to do.if its warped maybe you can have it shaved,if its not too bad.

You got water in your oil. If you been driving it you might be in big trouble. Better get oil changed pronto

the gasket is the cheapest if dose not work it`s time fore the scrap yard