AutoCAD draftsmen wage?

Im applying for a new job doing drafting and Im curious as to what I should ask for as far as an hourly wage. I currently make $11/hr doing drafting at an engineer firm but should def. be making more... Im not really sure what the going rate is for an average drafter. Ive been at my company now for about 1.5 years and went to school for about 2 years... And Im 19. Any ideas what I should ask for?

• gare
    Favorite Answer

Totally depends on area and type of CAD work specializing in. Electrical CAD around here (SF area) starts at at least $18.00 ph, up to $25 ph, after we test their abilities. And the $$ per hour is NOT the main thing we are thinking of when you walk in the door, we want to know what you can do.

The easiest thing to do is check all of your local advertisers for any CAD drafting positions and see what they are offering. Call some just outside of where you want to work and ask them what they will pay per hour, if they do not list it in the ad.

It is not good to ask a potential employer right off the bat, so ask those outside. Wages may not be accurately reflected in any sample wage sites, you need to know what reality right now is.

Another thing you may wish to consider is actually go to an interview or two with those you will not work for and see what people are looking for, so you may highlight those points with whom you wish to work.

An example: I would want someone who can create architectural backgrounds, scale the drawings or dimension them, is familiar with electrical symbols and can participate in some basic design and as-builts. The more of these a person knows, the better. Since you are not planning on working for me, you ask what I am offering and you say good bye. The next person you talk to is the one you want to work for, you tell that person you are good at...... and they are thinking, "this guy knows what we need". If they offer you what I did, tell them that you got the same offer from GARE, and ask if they can go $1 an hour higher with a 5% raise after 6 months if you prove yourself. Then do just that, prove you are more than they hoped for.

None of this may be pertinent to the type of CAD you are proficient with.

Source(s): Started CAD drafting program with two electrical companies.

Go to salary.com and search for salary ranges in your profession and your specific area. They probably have a couple different levels or classes of draftsmen, you can look and decide which best matches your qualifications.

Then ask for the number that shows the 75th percentile of the range. Maybe you get it, maybe not, but never hurts to try.

Source(s): 10 years in mortgage banking

i don't be attentive to specifically relating to the St. Louis Metro East section, yet once you seem up interior sight companies with mechanical engineering departments, they frequently have drafters and architects of their departments.

I'd ask for fifteen bucks. And if you got balls, ask for seventeen. But, be ready to work you *** off if you get it.