Do you think that degree students are getting the respect they deserve?

Hi, I felt this post necessary because there seem to be some contraversy as to degree programs and the students that graduate from them. In one of my previous posts some guy made a comment that I was taken back by. It was as follows. "just because you have a slip of paper that says you are competent and trainable (That's all a degree is) isn't a promise that you are really going to be competent and trainable. What if you suck?" I guess I understand somewhat where the guy was comming from but do you think that it is justifiable to say that an individual could honestly "suck" after spending years in a program which specializes them in that particular field. Many people look down on students but without the students of the world, the world would never develop, students should be respected for their efforts and their contribution to their community.

Favorite Answer

When you get out into the "real" world, and begin to develop a career, you will be starting from zero. You will not have all of the subtle knowledge that involves your field of study until you actually get out there and practice it. Rules change in the world over time, and your piece of paper, simply because you have one does not mean you will know more than someone who has no degree yet has worked in your field of study for many years. A 4 year degree is not as prestigious as it used to be, if I were you I'd hang in there for a Masters.

Considered all on its own, making it through college doesn't make you a good employee, fully qualify you for a particular career, or make you suitable as a future leader of the world. It just means you made it through college. That's it.

A degree will enhance a competent individual's capabilities and provide a seal of approval for those less fortunate.