Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

If you had to pick Liberty or Security..which would you pick and why?

Favorite Answer

In the words of the great Benjamin Franklin, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

I'm military...we fight for both. But if I had to pick only one, I would pick liberty. Liberty gives me the ability to enjoy life and the great little moments. Liberty lets me be who I am and whom I want to be around and the things I want to do. Security is a comfort knowing that i can feel secure everyday. But, would you rather feel secure and know that every time you go out in public you have to walk a fine line so your not arrested? Would you like growing up knowing that your not going to be able to choose the love of your life, or and if you can attend college? Security is a comfort, liberty(freedom) is a luxury. I had rather know that I live my life everyday in a threat, but knowing that I can do as I please. Life is short anyway, your never promised tomorrow. Liberty(freedom) is the only thing I would wish for.

Liberty. A police state has security but who wants to live in one.

• jeff

Both can can in some way be truly important but in this world are not very much guaranteed thank you liberty is a worthwhile thing always to have

How many liberties can you enjoy if you are dead?

People will always choose liberty when they feel safe and security when they feel threatened.