Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 decade ago

External hardrives?

How exactly do external hardrives work? I mean I know you connect them with USB cables and stuff, but can you really copy everything you have on your internal hardrive and put it on the external? After that how do you access the stuff on the external hardrive? Can you buy a new internal hardrive and put the stuff from the external on it?

• Paul
    Favorite Answer

I have an external hard drive, and I don't like it much. It would have been a lot easier and inexpensive to just put an extra internal hard drive in my PC. With an extra internal drive you can transfer all your mp3s, videos, photos to the extra drive. When you open My Computer, you'll see both hard drives. If you have an external hard drive you would see that, too (as long as it was plugged in and powered on). It would be drive E or F or J or whatever letter came next in the alphabet after all the other drives you own. You can use an external drive the same way, except you have to pay extra because it has its own housing and power supply. An external drive will show up under my computer. You just access it like you would any other drive in Windows. You can put folders in it, transfer things to and from it, and so on and so forth.

• IT Pro

Your operating system should remain on your internal drive. External drives are for storage only, not running Windows from.

It will show up on "my computer" as another drive. and yes you can copy files to it. and access it as can your internal drive.