Reactions to Katrina victims a year+ later...?

Why do people still not understand the plight of the Katrina victims? I am sorry but I have to address this as I just saw and answered another post about Katrina evacuees and how they may not deserve another FEMA extension. It makes me livid! Why don't people understand or have the compassion for their fellow citizens? Do we forget so easily...

These are people who have no skills, no home, no income and are hundreds, if not thousands, of miles from home. They don't have bedding, clothing, or any of the things they have accumlated over the years to preserve memories of their lives. Yes, they got another FEMA extension, but remember also, they didn't get the FEMA benefits on time to begin with. What help did they get for that first week? Of any kind? People were starving and dying from dehydration in the streets....and FEMA wasn't there, nor was the Red Cross. When the benefits did come, they were too late. Weeks, and months later. Not days later. So, do they deserve an extension?!? Hell yes. They deserve all we can give them to make up for the shoddy was this country and it's citizens allowed things to go down when this all happened. FEMA money is not for vocational school...and I would resent whoever used it that way. It's not meant for that. It's meant for necessities....food, shelter, water, clothing, and the like...not a scholarship.

Chi Bears....do you know you live in one of the worst Earthquake Zones in the country (if you live in the Chicago area at all)? Worse than California. Why do you live here? Pretty stupid to live here don't you think....after all, it's a dangerous place and a disaster is bound to happen. Better move somewhere safer. Oh, exactly where is that? I would like to go there too.

Favorite Answer

Why should we spend billions of dollars in Iraq instead of helpling out our own people.........think of how much all the money that gets poured into Iraq EVERY SINGLE DAY would help rebuild the area .and why can't we put up levees like other countries do that actually work..

• sglmom

Sorry -- when MY area and state ( and I live in FLORIDA -- hit with MUCH MORE than just Katrina, and YES, TWO Major Hurricanes, multiple Tropical Storms, and the outer bands of OTHER Hurricanes came and damaged MY area at the same time) -- do I want to HEAR about this anymore?

NO -- because the MASSIVE Amount of Hurricane SURVIVORS are doing what they needed to have done to HELP THEMSELVES -- we have and are repairing our homes, we have to keep working, and we certainly DO NOT GET FREE HOUSING ... or any of the other "Special Benefits" that those associated with New Orleans or Katrina got (and New Orleans was NOT directly hit! It hit Mississippi Directly -- have you even looked at the devastation in Mississippi and Alabama Gulf Coasts from Katrina's fury -- I can say it is MUCH more than you could stand!

They do NOT deserve what any other Hurricane Survivor has NOT had access to. All anyone is asking is that ALL Hurricane Survivors be TREATED the same -- and NOT just a select, small portion of the Hurricane/storm Damage survivors.

shoddy? I do NOT think so ... the ONLY Shoddy treatment is the way that ALL THE OTHER Hurricane Survivors have been treated by being FORGOTTEN in the process! (and for me -- it was 3 months BEFORE I got an Estimate or Adjuster out to MY home so that I could begin the process of rebuilding MY roof and repairing the property damage -- and in the meantime -- I did have to arrange MY OWN FINANCING to make sure that repairs to keep MORE damage from happening occurred!) Plus, living rurally -- we are the ones PASSED BY on the way as all services and help go towards the more populated areas ....

Source(s): NO! Definitely NO! After surviving TWO direct Hits by Major Hurricanes EVEN BEFORE Katrina -- and having New Orleans Residents come to OUR area and get services and demand attention and things that WE were not privileged to have (and believe me -- we ALL were struggling to rebuild, get our homes repaired, and I WILL be paying off the tens of thousands of dollars of loss due to windstorm damage NOT covered by my policy for many, many years still) ... then ... NO! Enough is enough -- and Instead of this prejudicial posting -- how about thinking of ALL Those OTHER Hurricane Survivors who are doing what we NEED to in order to recover -- paying our own Expenses, taking care of our bills, and accepting the FULL RESPONSIBILITY anyone does (other than this select group) for choosing to LIVE in a Hurricane Zone! PERSONAL Experience as a Survivor of Multiple Major Hurricanes since 2004 and into the 2005 Hurricane Season. Thank GOD that no Hurricanes caused such tremendous losses this year ... because we needed the relief from the storms.

Firstly, I have no compassion for people who lose their homes when their homes are in a place that should NEVER have been habited by humans in the first place.

Secondly, if you're in America with absolutely zero skills, that's your own fault, and I have no pity for it.

Thirdly, how long are we supposed to support these people? Katrina "victims" have gotten WAY more money than the victims of other natural disasters.

I so tired of people who live in flood zones, hurricane areas, etc - who lose their house and "we" are suppose to help them out when they knew the whole time they were living in a dangerous area?? I mean come on, if they can't get insurance because their house is next to a flooding river, doesn't that tell you something??

we rather waste our money in Iraq