Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Is a pap smear dangerous in pregnancy?

i know it is routine to get a pap smear at your appt while prego, but is it dangerous to the baby? Could you have a miscarriage from it? I am just nervous. Anyone have personal experience you want to share? I have it at my first appt. ill be 8 weeks.....

Favorite Answer

I would decline a PAP test while pregnant, but I decline then generally speaking.

I do not think scraping the cervix is healthy, particularly while pregnant. Irritation just leaves it more prone to disease.

There is also (assuming you live in the US) a blood test that is MORE ACCURATE. And yet no one has heard of it, however the male equivilant was trumpeted in the media but no one cares about this test. Why? I leave that up to you to decide.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?ne...

http://www.onconix.com/Cervius_Receives_Funding_Fr...

• Summer

I think that you should be fine. I think paps are at a doctor's discretion. I've been pregnant twice and did not have a pap for the durration of either pregnancies. I don't think that it would be damaging to the child. The speculum that is inserted into your vagina only opens the vaginal canal. It does not reach to the cervix. Your cervix is a bone and is closed tightly (less than 1/2 cm in diameter). The cervix is what protects your child, and ultimately, what expands so that you may give birth.

It's OK to be Nervous. It's natural. You'll be OK.

No, it's completely normal and routine. They need to check for some STD's, your cervix and everything to make sure you're okay. You may get some very light spotting, but your doc will tell you that's normal during pregnancy after intercourse or a vaginal exam. It's nothing to worry about! Good Luck!

Source(s): Mother of one, second on the way!!!
  • Blondi

No its not dangerous. If it was then they wouldnt do it. I have never heard of a woman miscarrying from a pap smear. If you dont have one done, and there is something wrong , then you risk your babys life.

No. its not dangerous. All your doctor does is swab the cervix, and one swab stays resting against the cervix for 40 seconds.

They dont probe the cervix or try to open anything.

No, it is not a problem and needs to be done to be sure that there is no problem with you. I don't see how that would cause a miscarriage. You'll be fine.

no honey your baby is sooooooooooooooo small right now and even when your nine months it wouldnt hurt the baby

no its not dangerous but helpful

no it is completely safe.

no