How long does it take to learn touch typing ?

Favorite Answer

I could start touch-typing using my 10 fingers in just one week. I took the Free Online Typing Course at goodtyping.com ...

http://www.goodtyping.com

to sum up...

- Learn how to type correctly in just a few hours using all your fingers.

- You will soon be typing faster than you ever imagined.

- 27 guided lessons to learn step-by-step from the beginning.

- Choose between 18 different keyboard layouts to learn

- Web-based course. No downloads required.

It really depends. If you're disciplined, and don't have any bad typing habits to lose, you should be able to get it in a day, and a little practicing for the next few days will keep the reflexes in. Spend at least 5 minutes practicing perfect hand positioning, then force yourself not to look for the basic keys (asdfjkl;) then try not to look at all. Before you let yourself peek, guess a key, 75% of the time, your guess will be right, and you'll learn the weird keys more quickly. If you don't like the standard hand position left hand: asdf right hand: jkl; feel free to choose your own, but you need to pick a position, and stick with it. Learning two or three will take longer and be harder (I know, I sometimes move my hands a lot, and it makes everything much slower.)

If you're taking a typing class, it'll probably go for four months, partially because they cover more with less motivated students, partially because they only have you for an hour. They'll normally teach you a few other things, like perfect hand position and speed. You'll probably have some basic business writing in there as well, no sense being able to type a letter well if you're not sure what it should look like.

If you want to raise your typing speed, learning to touch type will help, you should be back up to your usual typing speed quickly, and it should rise fast. Strangely enough, I found the most effective way to raise my typing speed was to get into really good conversations on aim. I already knew how to type properly, that just made me learn how to type quickly.

You will find that if you look at the keys you will make mistakes. Do it without looking. If you can type 40wpm you must know where the letters are on the keys, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't know where the keys are, the simplest way is to practice. using left hand, type over and over again, asdfg. Do this for 10 minutes. Then with your right hand type, ;lkjh over and over, then go on to the top row and the bottom row and the numbers. Good luck, but 40 wpm is good, unless you have a job that needs more.

• Alex S

It depends on how good you are with your memory

and how quickly you can get your fingers used to

acrobatics. The most important question you should

ask yourself is if that's really an advantage or are you

just doing it because you're supposed to.

If you're currently using 1 finger random search you'll

get advantages out of 10 finger touch type. But if you

already have a convenient system you might not want

to break that with dogmatic crap.

like 2 months or so. try "type instructor" its much faster than the other way though, so the time is worth it