Vehicle Maintenance Schedule - List one please?

Can someone please just list an AVERAGE mant schedule for an AMERICAN made vehicle. Every ??????? miles change the oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, radiator fluid...(and for anything else) ..and so on. Thanks!

I would like this to be benificial for everyone thats why I did not list my car.

Favorite Answer

they are in every owners manual that comes with a car :)

Gordon, I agree with you 100%. In my own personal cars, I have a much more vigorous schedule. My wife has a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis with 86,000 miles on it. Every 3 months, or 3000 miles the oil and filter are changed, every year, the transmission fluid is changed, Every 2 years, I change the brake fluid and the rear end gear oil. I also use synthetic oil in the engine (just my preference) and at every oil change, I'll pull the wheels and inspect the brakes, front end, shocks and give the car a general look over, suspension, steering, exhaust, lights, even the radio and A/C. I also check all the fluid levels and tire pressures once a week. I stress to my customers that not only mileage, but time is a factor in maintainence as well. I probably sound anal, but it's my wife's car and I want to be certain that she is safe and her car starts every day, she is comfortable in the cold and heat, but most importantly, she can listen to her music on her way to work!!!! In all seriousness though, each time the car is in for maintainence, have the technician give the car a good looking over. Things can be spotted early on that may need repair or replacing that may cost a little cash now, but may be a big repair bill down the road. No one likes to be stranded on the side of the road or in a dark parking lot. I stress to everyone, consult your owners manual for this information. If not, I tell them to stop by and ask questions. In the past, I held car clinics once a month for the public and have gotten a great response, especially from those who aren't car literate. It's very important that anybody who drives a car know what to do for maintainence and just plain know how a car operates. This is why I have had these clinics in the past. Maybe some of my fellow ASE Techs might want to bring this up to their shop owners. All everybody has to do is give some time and bring a dish. It's a great way to introduce yourselves to the community and make people feel at ease. It's nice when someone comes in and they know who you are.

Source(s): ASE Master Auto Tech For 25 Years

Generally, Oil changes should be done every 3 to 4,0000 miles. The transmission should be serviced every 24,000 miles. The radiator should be drained and filled every 24,000 miles but have the coolant percentage checked Yearly. Brake fluid should be flushed every 24,000 to 36,000 also. Tune ups can go up to 60,000 miles if you have platinum plugs and 30,000 miles if not. the fuel filter should be changed at least every 20,000 miles.

Hope this helps as it is a GENERAL guideline

Source(s): ASE Certified Master tech

Maintenance schedules are listed in the back of most owner's manuals. If you don't have an owner's manual, you can order one through your local dealership. They shouldn't cost much. It also helps to have an owner's manual when you go to sell the vehicle because many people will ask if you have it.

you should check your oil level everytime you fill up with gas(about 1 a week)-change oil every 3,000 miles or 3months(which ever comes first-check all fluids at that time)- brakes,plugs&wires, and filters can be checked every six months

Hope this helps

Source(s): junkyard kid