SlundereD asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

OK my Oscar he's huge and he only eats ham chicken hot dogs, what can i feed him that wont cloud the tank ?

he's a hugh oscar very pickey and im very broke havent tryed worms yet but thought that would be even clouder plz leta me know and thank you i really like this yahoo Q&A

Favorite Answer

I would start with the commercial oscar food, however if it is picky i doubt he'll take it--but it doesnt hurt to try.

dont feed goldfish--when oscars eat goldfish, the feeder fishes' scales are scattered around when the oscar grabs onto it, and the water will become very oily.

if commercial oscar food doesnt work, nightcrawlers or earthworms work well (just remember to rinse the dirt off before you drop them into the tank). They wont make the water to cloudy and oscars usually swallow them whole rather than ripping them into pieces.

Good luck

exp- fish hobbyist, kept 3 oscars before

Go buy feeder golfish which are available at any aquarium store. Try to stay away from the big chains like Petsmart, and Petco. Their feeder's often carry some type of parasite or fungus. Oscar's love them. Maybe your water's getting cloudy because of your filter. Maybe your oscar's producing to big of a bio load for the filter you currently have. Might be time to upgrade.

Source(s): Personal Knowledge

I have a pair of tiger oscar and pair of albino oscar for almost five years now. I usually feed them with live feeder fish, crickets or worms and sometimes people food too but in moderation. i also use both dry and frozen cichlid food to give them their necessary nutirents. I recommend upgrading your filtration system and avoid feeding them excessively as they just spit it out when theyre full.

Source(s): Personal Experience

ok stop with the people food it will give him bloat and popeye not to mention the risk of parasites. get him ghost shrimp goldfish or any other feeder fish. second go by a filter called a phosphorous filter. i have a huge oscar too. these come in sheets of 8by7 and you cut them to fit your pump. my tank has been crystal since the day i put them in

Oscars are just plane messy fish. Doesnt matter what you feed them. I suggest more filtration. On my 55 gal tank i used two large filters and it seemed to work well.

They will eat live fish, like goldfish and guppies and normally you can get like a dozen for a $1 or more... stop feeding him people food... also go look in your back yard for snails. My Oscar used to love it when I fed him snails.

yo, you can try live fish like feeders - watch out when buying feeders some may contain diseases. also try pellets and make sure there big enough that your oscar will eat it dont go buying tiny pellets for a huge oscar.

well i have 3 oscars my self black tiger, red, and super red albino and i feed them floating pellets, sinking pellets, algae disc, sometimes large flakes, and occasionally feeders.

I would try krill, clams, crab, ghost shrip, bamboo shrimp, snails, beef heart, bloodworms, daphnia, plankton, silversides just the ordinary, not that expencive. You can get most of these at any petstore.

actual fish food. go to petsmart and ask them the best brand to get him

wats an oscar??????????????????????