Do you *really* think mushrooms are vegetables?

How on earth do you reconcile two entirely separate and distinct kingdoms? Your inaccuracy offends my very being. Today is the day that taxonomy is respected. Are you with me?

If only liking Shiitake mushrooms is a crime then put me away for life.

Type in "define: vegetables" to google and check out the Italian translation...

* _* @

* _ -+

* _ -+ \ () >

*educate*

*inform*

*inspire*

Readability = 9%

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thank you!

No, mushrooms are not vegetables. They are not even plants by any sense of the word. They do not photosynthesize, they do not seed or bear fruit. They have just as much (or as little depending if you are a glass half full or half empty person) in common with animals as they do plants.

Speaking of definitions, a vegetable is not defined by what you find in a salad. A vegetable refers to the part of a plant that is not directly involved the reproductive cycle of that plant. A fruit on the other hand is not defined as some sweet that you can put in a cake or serve with ice cream, rather it is the part of the plant that is the result of the reproductive cycle and carries the plant embryo (seed).

Examples:

tomato = fruit

avocado = fruit

coconut = fruit

pinecone = fruit

banana = debatable... flower?

cinnamon (bark) = vegetable

blade of grass = vegetable

a piece of 2x4 = vegetable

Economically, as mentioned by the answerer above, an edible mushroom can be classified as "food" but not vegetable, fruit, or meat.

Ecologically, you can lump a mushroom in with bacteria, mold, worms, maggots, vultures, hyenas, and any other scavanger that comes to mind.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Mushrooms are so sturdy and that i like them.. i don't look after them basically by making use of themselves yet love them maximum suitable whilst in recipes or as deep fried and on pizza. A portabella mushroom cap is rather sturdy as a sandwich or made on the grill. basically upload some olive oil garlic and a touch cheese and it is so sturdy! they're the only vegetable that has a source of nutrition D in it. regardless of the undeniable fact that they are bought interior the produce branch they are not categorised as a vegetable. they're seen fungi, yet are between the few and safest fungi which you would be able to consume. i recognize its gross to think of you're ingesting some form of fungi, yet rather they don't style undesirable in any respect.

• 1 decade ago

No, Mushrooms are not vegetables, They are a type of fungi. In the fruiting stage their spore bearing structures are the beautiful umbrella like structures. During their vegetative stage no one can see because they spread underground. We can watch in damp areas these mushoom emerge in groups and also in definite patterns. To read more see a Mycology (fungi) book.

Source(s): I am a life science post graduate
  • 1 decade ago

no mushrooms are not The vegetable MUSHROOM IS A SPROPHYTIC FUNGI , mushroom is cultivated through straws of wheat ,rice ,soyabean etc. seeds of mushroom is known as spawns

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's true, taxonomically they are totally different; but economically they belong together (along with a lot of fruits).

Another chapter in the long book of different definitions depending on definer: reference mathematical and political versions of minority.

• 1 decade ago

no mushrooms are not vegetables, they are interesting and some of them are good for you and taste good

veges are from plants

Source(s): i just know
  • 1 decade ago

I thought mushrooms were all in the fungus category.

• 1 decade ago

mushrooms are fungi

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.