should i continue to try and work things out with my daughter's dad (who is bipolar) or give up?

okay here is my problem i got pregnant the first time i slept with my unborn daughters dad,(i am now 36 weeks) and we have had a very bumpy road because i really care about him but he is bipolar and i feel like he doesnt care as much as i do. So one day he is wonderful to me but then the next time i talk to him he calls me names and he always thinks things that are untrue. I feel like there is nothing i can do to make him happy because he is bipolar and refuses to take meds. This is making the pregnancy very hard on me and he doesnt understand he thinks everything is always my fault. So i guess what i am wondering is if i should just cut my losses and move on. I dont believe my daughter should have to go through this so i wonder if he will be this way to her as well..... please give advice

Favorite Answer

My husband also is bipolar. If he is not getting treatment; (which it sounds like even if he is, it is not effective); then do not pursue the relationship. Things will only get worse. With effective treatment (medication) and counseling you both can have a happy, stable relationship within which to raise your child. Placing God into that equation will really give you a head start.

Check out mayclinic.com for more info on bipolar symptoms and treatment. Good luck, and congratulations on you baby.

To be honest... if the father can't handle the responsibility of taking his meds, he's not going to make a good father anyways.

I would cut my losses... but with that, I would always leave the door slightly open to him, if he were to straighten himself out. He does have a right to be with his child.

He needs to take responsibility for himself. Until he does that, he'll never be able to be responsible for his child.

if you really want this relationship to work and both you and he know that he has a problem and are BOTH willing to go through treatments of it then by all means go for it.

try counseling, maybe the councelor can get him to try some meds..good luck hun