I bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris in July. It works fine except for a smell coming out of the AC. What is it?

Everytime I start my car and drive, I turn my air conditioner on and smell a charcoal smell coming from the vents. It smells like diesel, smog or sulfur. A very strong smell. It reminds me of smog. It's not an egg smell and I never see any smoke. Also, it's ONLY when the AC is on. What could it be?

Favorite Answer

Probably mildew from water condensing. Ask your dealer to de-tox it with a spray they use and then from that point on, after using AC run the heater through the vents now and then.

Did you know on that car that when you dial the knob to "defrost" position, the AC also goes on?

do not pay interest to Shadow he's complete of crap with respect to 'crap eastern plastics'. it would want to easily be mildrew collected at the same time as the motorcar change into searching ahead to delivery. perchance purchase a AC deodoriser at any vehicle shop, spray it into the AC vents and with somewhat of success which will rid the smell.