Jennifer asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Is it proper to give a gift to a sponsor or godmother after a Catholic baptism and confirmation?

I'm in RCIA and I was wondering if it would be considered ok.

Favorite Answer

Yes, a small gift or card is appropriate.

The sponsor has already traveled far with the neophyte and will continue with him or her on their journey of faith.

With love in Christ.

A nice show of appreciation is always good. The role of a Godmother is quite an undertaking. I have in the past given out as small gifts a medal or something Religious pertaining to the ceremony and have had brunch or a small celebration with some finger foods and such again as a festive thing as well as my show of appreciation.

"Sponsor" and "godparent" are a similar factor. As a non-Catholic you are able to no longer fill that functionality. yet you would be an unofficial witness, and stand with the dad and mom throughout the time of the certainly sacrament. There could be a minimum of one Catholic sponsor although. Godparents are meant to help the dad and mom in elevating the baby in the Catholic faith, which for sure is why they could be Catholic. Sponsors are no longer expected to undertake the youngsters upon the dying of the dad and mom. There are no sponsors for Catholic weddings, and baptismal sponsors have not any financial responsibilities.

I would say that a gift to your sponsor is a good idea. Maybe a note or card to your godmother to tell her how much you appreciate her. Give them seperately and in private, don't make a big deal out of it.

I would definately give my sponsor a gift after confirmation! I'd write a thank-you note too! They took time out of their busy life to help you grow spiritually. That's quite a gift!

Well normally the person who is being baptized or their confirmation is the one who gets the gift but there is nothing wrong with u giving a sponsor/godmother one

Hoped this helped!!!!!

• sglmom

This is up to you -- but at LEAST ... do a Thank You card (show your appreciation for the person sponsoring your child at their baptism).

IF you decide to give a token gift -- do it in PRIVATE -- and also DEFINITELY emphasize to the person how much you appreciate their attendance.

Source(s): Personal Experience -- have seen it both ways -- but AT LEAST do the Thanks card -- and do show your appreciation in little ways (like maybe take the godparent to lunch as the small "gift" for the bigger 'gift' of their time and sponsorship during the Baptismal Service. PS -- do NOT forget the Priest's/Officiant's "Gift"!

An actual gift is fine but not necessary. A thank you card however is.

I think that is a lovely way to thank them for their love and guidance.

yes do so its always nice to show some one who you trust with your child in case you die