jen31 asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

do you take antidepressants?

i have been taking lexapro for four weeks due to post partum depression it hasn't helped yet except for the crying spells. i am still having anxiety attacks and today the dr. gave me xanax to take when i feel one coming on. i just wanted someones opinion who's taken the two drugs to tell me what to expect. and if it will even work

Favorite Answer

I take Prozac.

No one can tell you what to expect. These pills work differently for different people. I've been on many different antidepressants, till I found that this one works for me.

I had taken Zoloft for a short time, and it was like being on coke. I was up all the time, moving around, doing stuff, couldn't sleep. I was hyper - which isn't me. But then I've known people who had taken Zoloft and that is the drug they needed.

We all have different body chemistries... just try this one.. see how it goes. If it doesn't work, ask your doctor to try a different one.

I also have Xanax, but I only use them when I forsee a panic attack coming (this depends on what causes you to have panic attacks)... such as when I am going to be around a lot of people (crowds do me in) or if I'm going to be a on plane....

Good luck! ;)

Usually you don't feel the full effects for about six weeks. I'm on prozac, have been for a couple of years now. Go easy on the xanax - that stuff is ridiculously addictive. If it isn't any better in 2 weeks, go to see your doctor, as some drugs don't agree with some people (I was on celexa but switched to prozac after I started collapsing).

And ignore what the person said about lithium, you only need that if you're bipolar, which it doesn't sound like you are

Source(s): 2 Yrs on Prozac, Occasional valium

I was prescribed both drugs last year for ptsd. Lexapro gave me anxiety attacks and Xanax made me blackout and do crazy things also if you take Xanax daily for more than maybe two weeks you can become PERMANENTLY physically addicted to it. XANAX is a horribly addicting substance. There is a rebound effect that will give you a worse anxiety attack than you had before.

I don't know about those two drugs but I definitly know about anxiety. I've suffered from Generalized anxiety disorder since the age of 7. I am now 27.

I have been on prozac for 3 years and my anxiety is almost non existant. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about changing medications.

I tried xanac but i didn't like it because it made me feel drugged.

I have been taking Zoloft for over 12 years. It has worked for me. In the past, I tried other meds, Sinequant and Elevil. They did not work.

You have to be a patient patient. If the drug does not work in the next few weeks, ask your doctor if he thinks you should try another med.

If your doctor is not a psychiatrist, I recommend that you see one. Antidepressant drugs are their area of expertise. I am aware of some cases where a general practitioner did not properly prescribe antidepressants.

No I have not but what we encourage patients to do is write down how they feel each day and how the meds affect you. All anti depressants will take a while to help to help you feel better. DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR ANTIDEPRESSANT MEDS!!! if you think they are not helping . You can have major withdrawl symptoms that can really affect you. If you need to get off of the meds tell your doctor and he will take you off of then gradually by slowly lowering the dose. Also try massage. good luck and take care.

Yes, I've taken prozac and I'm currently taking Lexapro, but for anxiety, not depression. Actually, the prozac was for depression, but that was many years ago. Anyway, they both worked really well for me and I've been taking Lexapro for about 8 months. I wish you luck!

I've taken lexapro. I didn't like it. I have an antidepressent/anticonvulsant combo for bipolar, but i also get seperate anxiety attacks. I take paxil. Xanax makes me lethargic and nauseated.

i used to not anymore, xanax is a miracle drug for me as far as lexapro some times you have to try several different ones before finding the best for you, for instance prozac made me CRAZY, wellbutrin did well for me as well as lexapro, good luck hope this isnt long term for you but glad help is there

I think you need to see a naturopath instead of these quacks who prescribe antidepressants like candy.

Your hormones are out of whack and you can get them back on track with some natural help. I have heard phoencane (sp?) is great for depression, is not a drug, natural suppliment. Do some research on your own.