Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Should I Quit Or Stay?

Okay I am currently studying Shaolin Kung Fu. I think my studio is okay, but feel uncomfortable with some of their traditions such as kneeling -with both knees on the ground- and having them but a belt on you. I dont think of it a sexual, just demeaning to kneel like that. I have like 7 other schools near me, and my friends go to all different schools. Some are in mine, but idk if no friends are at a new school,ill make new more. So, Should I Quit Or Stay?

Favorite Answer

Your feelings are quite natural for someone of your age and generation. However, perhaps you should explore more why you feel demeaned rather than honored to kneel. Any traditional martial art will demand the absolute respect due to the instructor, although it may be expressed in various ways. I've been training in the martial arts for over 20 years, and under my teacher for more than half of that. To this day, I pay full courtesy to every instructor above me, and would kneel before my Teacher in a heartbeat to show my dedication to his teachings, my loyalty to him and the system, my appreciation of what he has done for me, and my knowledge that I am still but a speck of dust in the grand scheme of things. As a system with such a lineage as ours, one of the ultimate goals of training, aside from the fighting ability you will develop, is the destruction of the ego in deference to recognition of the higher self. I hope you find your answer, for it lies within yourself... If you ever feel uncomfortable with anything, feel free to shoot me an email (sifu@NotKarate.com ) and we can discuss the meanings behind what we do and why we do it. Sometimes a little knowledge can go a long way!

If you feel that kneeling and bowing is demeaning, then there is something probably wrong with you, it is an honour to be raised, you are being informed by a superior that you are worthy of being raised to your next rank. You should feel honoured that your hard work and dedication has been regonized. If you find this demeaning, then you obviously find yourself either your masters equal or better, and you should not defer to him. In all honestly i do not believe you are the right kind of person for a martial art, you can still do a martial study, but most likely stay away from the arts, try boxing, or kickboxing, something like that, roman greco wrestling, where there is no visible heirachy, and you only get what you put out, there is no real deference there, as long as you understand that many other people will know more than you, if not more, than different, always seek to expand yourself.

But yes, drop Kung Fu.

Source(s): Many years of Judo, boxing, kickboxing, mma (western), mma (budo/combat), and kung fu.

It depends on the belt level you are at/if you enjoy Shaolin Kung Fu. If you are a low belt and wish to switch, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you feel uncomfortable. But, if you're a high belt, you need to just stick it out. If you switch, you may have to start all over at white belt (I believe you start at white belt?). BUT, the thing is DO YOU ENJOY IT? If you do, you should stay. Also, some other studios may be worse.

My daughter had to do a similar thing with her martial arts training and I thought it was very good for her to get used to something like that. She learned what it meant and eventually got over feeling weird about it, and has made some of her best friends from that experience.

I say don't quit just because of one thing...if you disagreed with the philosophy or there was inappropriate behavior, that's a good reason to quit. But especially because there is something new that makes you uncomfortable, it means you will really learn something valuable.

• Kim

Congrats I quit 2 days ago! I am 36 and smoked since I was 14. I quit before also but got hooked on the patch and ended up smoking again. I dont know the answer to your question but im gonna keep trying till I figure it out! Im gonna add you so we can keep track of each others progress!

I don't agree with quiting. But there are always exceptions. You obviously want to quit. I don't think it would be wise to quit altogether. I do think if you are uncomfortable then you should try a different school. I hope you find one that is more to your liking. And, if you're just changing where you go and are basically doing the same things (without feeling uncomfortable) then I don't consider that quitting. Have a lovely day!

This is a hard one. It depends on you. There are going to be traditions anywhere. But if it's just this one tradition you have a problem with, it shouldn't be too hard to find a place that doesn't have that one. I never require students to kneel, and we all put our own belts on ourselves at my school.

I also do Shaolin Kung Fu and i thought it was ok, but then i started noticeing somthing i became more strong

ask yourself why you want to learn shaolin kung fu.

If it is to be a better fighter then you need to analyze if your school can give you that.

Do you train with resistance in a realistic situation?

Do you primarily focus on forms?

Does your teacher teach you to focus your "chi"? (any unrealistic claims about chi mean your school is a fraud and you should look elsewhere).

If your school focuses on forms over practical application you aren't learning anything.

If LARPing is what you are interested in then it doesn't matter but if you want to learn to fight then you need to train like one.

• sapboi

You seem young and unappreciative of the knowledge you are obtaining from your Sifu. If you do not believe that your Sifu is teaching you properly then you should leave his Kwoon so that your treachery will not poison the lineage that he has choosen to pass to you by his own graciousness...

shameful

lr