easiest and cheapest way to refinish cabinets?

Do I stain them or just varnish them?

Favorite Answer

Many people I encounter are sanding down their old cabinets and painting them to get a distressed look. I would stay away from stain unless you can get a perfect "naked" wood finish, meaning you would have to remove every spec of existing paint that is on the cabinet. Stain is different than paint in that it coats the wood but allows the existing layer to show through. Thats why certain types/grades of wood look better stained than others. I would recommend you paint for the best/most economical look on your cabinets if you are doing it yourself. Many other options are available such as refacing (laminate "glued" over the existing cabinet door and replacement drawer boxes but this can be costly and time consuming). Good luck with your project!

Source(s): remodeler

The absolute easiest, cheapest AND least time-intensive way to refinish cabinets is to paint them with Kitchen grade latex paint. However, if you don't mind spending more time, then I'd say stain and varnish - sand, then varnish again. Depends on your time and the type of wood used on cabinets.

In any case, it's kind of a big project. Good luck.

YOURSELF! Hahahahahaha! Honestly, stain and then varnish to protect the stain.

well the cheapest and easiest way is to paint them. you will have to use primer, but that is the easiest way

if i have to choose between the two options you provided i would choose stain

get this stuff called one step, i think its made by olympic. Lowes might have it it stains, and protects it

just stain them if you change your mind you could just paint over them

BOTH