Do legal residents of the US have to have a passport to travel to Mexico and back?

I know that US citizens have to have a passport now to get back into the US, but I was wondering if legal residents have to have a passport also. My dad is traveling to Mexico in a couple of weeks and he needs to know so he can get his passport.

Favorite Answer

The government is changing the laws depending how you are planning on crossing back and forth.

2007 - Flying into the US or Mexico a passport is required

2007 - Driving or by boat you will need a ceritified birth certificate and government issued photo ID. Residents of US need the Resident Alien card or Naturalization certificate with government issued photo ID.

2008 - ALL people will need a passport no matter how you travel.

Source(s): I work in the travel industry. Also married to a RA.

Yes, non-US citizens that are residents of the US need to take their passport with them to Mexico. Found this out the hard way when I had to drive to the house, get the passports, and bring it to the border checkpoint so that my wife and her sister could come across from Mexico.

Source(s): US Citizen married to a Green Card holder.
  • ?

Given your Mexican nationality i'd be VERY careful travelling over the border. Immigration is getting truly difficult, inspite of eco-friendly Card Holders and that i will imagine you would get fairly some difficulty on the go back leg. Play secure and save on with for a sparkling passport.

If he is driving there he won't need it, but when you fly you need your birth certificate or passport. If he doesn't have a passport and is leaving in a few weeks, he better talk to him employer cause he's not going to get it in time. The gov. doesnt move very fast.

I think this doesn't go into effect until Jan 1.

i think u do i would tell ur dad to get it to be on the safe side with all the security going on in airports it would be the best thing to do .

Yes, now they do.