Do legal residents of the US have to have a passport to travel to Mexico and back?

I know that US citizens have to have a passport now to get back into the US, but I was wondering if legal residents have to have a passport also. My dad is traveling to Mexico in a couple of weeks and he needs to know so he can get his passport.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The government is changing the laws depending how you are planning on crossing back and forth.

2007 - Flying into the US or Mexico a passport is required

2007 - Driving or by boat you will need a ceritified birth certificate and government issued photo ID. Residents of US need the Resident Alien card or Naturalization certificate with government issued photo ID.

2008 - ALL people will need a passport no matter how you travel.

Source(s): I work in the travel industry. Also married to a RA.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, non-US citizens that are residents of the US need to take their passport with them to Mexico. Found this out the hard way when I had to drive to the house, get the passports, and bring it to the border checkpoint so that my wife and her sister could come across from Mexico.

Source(s): US Citizen married to a Green Card holder.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Given your Mexican nationality i'd be VERY careful travelling over the border. Immigration is getting truly difficult, inspite of eco-friendly Card Holders and that i will imagine you would get fairly some difficulty on the go back leg. Play secure and save on with for a sparkling passport.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If he is driving there he won't need it, but when you fly you need your birth certificate or passport. If he doesn't have a passport and is leaving in a few weeks, he better talk to him employer cause he's not going to get it in time. The gov. doesnt move very fast.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think this doesn't go into effect until Jan 1.

• 1 decade ago

i think u do i would tell ur dad to get it to be on the safe side with all the security going on in airports it would be the best thing to do .

• 1 decade ago

Yes, now they do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.