Rani
Rani asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

How do people who don't have speech think?

When I think, it seems most things have a name or word attached to it within my mind--- or at least a description of some sorts, composed of words. Yet people who do not have hearing or speech --or babies pre-speech-- clearly have thoughts. And many animals are capable of quite complex thinking and planning, without words.

I cannot imagine how I'd think without words.

Favorite Answer

Read, " Syntactical Structures ", by Chomsky and " The Language Instinct ", by PInker, to see that language and thoughts, though intertwined, are separate things.

With their brains!!!

No really, babies speak with noises like crying and laughing. Hearing impaired learn words through motions. Your mind can process any thinking process regardless of laguage or words. Just like if your finger keeps twitching....I bet you weren't telling your finger to twitch, but you mind just did it for you.

Through visualization, feelings, and ideas. Small children and animals think very clearly without having the vocabulary that we do.

• Scotty

They think like the rest of us, they just can't speak or communicate their thoughts like the rest of us, that's all!

I know amazing isnt it! but i guess hearing impaired or people who cant talk can talk in their minds.

• SS90

They probably think in pictures!

http://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html