colombianqt2112 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how can i make my dog keep his sweater on in the winter?

he always takes it off n i want him to wear it wen it is cold b/c he shivers but no matter wat he takes it off....how can i get him to leave it on?? help please

Favorite Answer

Try putting the coat on while inside and treat him and praise him for wearing it. Use a treat that he really really likes, something special he doesn't get everyday. Only give him this treat while he is wearing the coat.

When he tries to take it off, distract him with a firm but gentle "ah ah" or "no." When his attention turns back to you, treat. Keep your sessions short, 5 - 10 minutes so you're not setting him up for failure.

Soon he will associate the coat with the special treat. It will become a good thing. When he's ready, start practicing outside.

There are a lot of ways to do this. I found some cute dog sweaters for my dog and he seems to like them I can give you the link good luck!

Put it on him when he goes out, then take it off. He may just get too warm with it on. You can try leaving it on for only short periods of time to help him get used to it.

If he takes it off, it means he doesn't want it on. It may be that he doesn't need it... he's warm enough, or it makes him uncomfortable. Don't you like to wear comfortable clothing? Don't you immediately take uncomfortable clothing off?

That is what your dog is doing.

I am in it too i mean they won't keep it on just take it off of him bring him shopping and let him try on some

Some dogs are more adaptable to accessories--I'm not urging you to give up your dog, it's just a fact. Ask your vet about training techniques.

Get him a better looking sweater

do what i do, keep putting it on untill he knows you are going to make him wear it.

hahah our dog always rips it off

That's hilarious.