Maggie
Maggie asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Stories about animals adopting baby animals of another species?

I know I've heard of this before, but I can't remember any specifics. Does anyone have a link to a story about a dog adopting a baby kitten or know of a book about a cat adopting a baby rabbit, etc? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Yeh these stories are AMAZING! I don't know of a book, but here is a link to my favorite story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1746828.stm

That one is where a lioness adopted a type of antelope baby - Usually her prey! The incredible thing is she did it again... see the link below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1905363.stm

There was also a Jame's Herriot story of a pig adopting a kitten - I think it was called "Moses the kitten" or something like that. These instances aren't uncommon!

Someone sent me pictures recently of a tigeress who lost her cubs and was so depressed she wouldn't eat. The zoo keepers evidently where trying to find more cubs but they only baby animal they had available were piglets. The pictures showed her sleeping with them and allowing them to nurse.

I think these stories are terrific

I don't have the story but I do have 2 pics of a pomeranian dog that adopted a baby duck and took care of it. They were best friends. If you want the pics email me from my profile and let me know what your email address is and I will email you both pics.

I remember reading those stories, and the one about the cat accepting the baby rabbit. I think you could find these stories at your local Library, or your SPCA. Good hunting, when you find them, will you please send it out as a question. Thanks - Merry Christmas.

Source(s): An aminal lover...

idk