My linksys routers sucks!?

I finally got it to work one day, then the next day it stopped working all of a sudden! Has anyone had similar problems. Does anyone have any tips or website links that may be of use?

• φζα
    Favorite Answer

check if there have been any firmware updates for your router: http://www.linksys.com/

Most people I know have used linksys for a while without problems, I kept the last one till it got quite old. (I recently picked up a router from another brand because it was the one on sale). I wouldn't use them for VPN, and I wouldn't use one in an office, or anyplace where my internet connection is more than 1.5mbps on a regular basis. At that point, it's worth going to a business router, the little home units can burn themselves right out trying to keep up.

It sounds like you've been having some problems pretty steadily, what kind of trouble are you having? Wireless?

Yes, the Linksys WRT54GL routers work best with DD-WRT third-party firmware. See a working copy of the config menus here: http://www.clearnet.com.au/ssl/xcart/Rips/DD-WRT/1...

You can crank-up the RF Power and use the router as a client bridge - great for creating long-range WiFi Links. Because the antennas are detachable, they'll also take high-gain antennas. I know of several Wireless ISPs that use them for customer premises equipment - i.e. configured as a bridge and connected to a high-gain parabolic antenna. They are good for links up to 30kms.

These are the kind of grid antennas: http://www.clearnet.com.au/xcart/home.php?cat=62&s...

Anyway, DD-WRT turns the WRT54GL into an enterprise-class product.

Honestly it depends on your configuration.

For instance I have a test network at my home, I connect to SBC using their provided 2Wire router, testing double NAT and VoIP and wireless. I had the same exact problem when it was configured for DHCP. The address would renew and kill all routing tables, therefore requiring that I reboot the router, and all would again until the address renewed again. I have since fixed that problem by assigning a static IP address.

Again I only had this problem when double using double NAT and DHCP, I have not had this problem when using a Bridge or Modem.

I had the same problem. I got a Netgear router. The Netgear is my backup router or I should say was my back up router. The linksys is in the trash. Take it back and get a different one.

hi take a look at my question last week about linsky router they are total crap do what i did take it back and get a belkin took 5 minutes to set up and not dissconeccted once , if u look at the questions i posted u will see the reviews i had also if u go to search engine and type in linsky router problems you will see 100's of people have probs , when i was in pc world there were 2 other people in same Q as me taking them back ...just get rid save your self time and frustration , go for a belkin :-)

I have a WRT54GL that was HORRIBLE with linksys firmware - used DD-WRT firmware and it ROCKS.