matthew r asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what is a good home remedy for dog worms?

Favorite Answer

Please don't use home remedies because someone may recommend something that could be ineffective at best or harmful even lethal at worst.

It doesn't cost much to see a Vet for a basic check up, shots and worming. It's the responsible thing to do for your dog.

Also, there are different kinds of worms that need different treatment. Tapeworms need a different medication from other worms. Heartworms can be prevented with a tablet but if a dog takes the tablet and has heartworms already that can make the dog seriously ill or even kill it.

A Vet needs to do a heartworm check and then you can get the preventative if the dog is heartworm negative.

If it is ringworm it will show as an round area (sometimes with a tail off it) and the hair will break off in that circle.. Ringworm is fluorescent under a black light (disco lights that turn white a glowing blue!) and if it is ringworm the vet will prescribe an anti-fungal cream - Ringworm is actually only a fungus and is not a living worm like creature. I have found that Tea-tree (Melaleuca Oil) oil is very effective on ringworm as it is anti-fungal antibacterial and because it is an oil it is also not too drying on the skin.. To apply the tea-tree oil do not use the 100% concentrate use the 15% dilute mix you can buy at the shops and apply it sparingly 3 times a day to the area with a cotton ball/wipe. Tea tree is also good for hot spots on dogs as the cream they often prescribe makes the hot spot weepy and lasts a lot longer. I am not sure when it stops being contagious but wash you hands often and wash all of the dogs bedding with a splash of the oil in the wash and that will help get rid of it quickly.. The Tea tree Oil works well on people in treating ringworm as well and is very effective for Tinea/Athletes foot.

I wouldn't take the chance with a home remedy for worms. I would go the the vet and get my dog dewormed.

The one your vet gives you for the type (s) of worms your dog has. There are no "good" home remedies.

Source(s): vet tech for 34 years

There are many different types of worms. You are better off for the dogs sake to take a stool sample to the vet and get the correct dewormer from him.

you need to use a worming pill because there are diffrent types of worms that live in different parts of the body.Its risky treating just one. I've never heard of something bad happening form worming a dog. always rember to dispose of faeces or the dog will be re infected

Depends on the type of worms what you need to use to kill them.

They have many wormers over the counter that are very effective. Try one of those.

Do not feed your dog any type of chewing tobacco. You can kill a dog from nicotine poisioning.

Source(s): I am a dog trainer

none speak to your vet and use the correct powder or tablets.

Ive heard copenhagen,but it cost as much as wormer,so not much help. Well unless you chew anyways.

• ?

I've heard bacon grease....but I don't know if it works...