What engine to choose?

what would be the most ideal fast engine for my 96 Eclipse RS? I wand an engine that will smoke just about every sport compact car. I was told that the Mitsubishi EVO would be best, but I was thinking more in the lines of Japanese racing engine.

What do you think?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I would say your best choices are either a 1g Eclipse GS/Talon TSi engine or the Evo engine. The RS has a weak Chrysler engine and isn't anything like the Mitsubishi engine used in the turbocharged 2g's. Some of the 2g engines are prone to a faulty crankshaft which will kill your engine. Mitsubishi is supposed to have a new crank out that solves that problem. The 1g and 2g Eclipse engines can be brought up way passed the Evo's stock power with some work, and 1g engines fit in 2g's without much modification, however I'm not sure how easily an Evo's engine will go in. The other thing is that an Evo comes stock with 70-90HP over the Eclipse engines so if you were to put an Evo engine in there it would already blow away any stock Eclipse. Also, you'll most likely want AWD with all that power too because with so much power you'll be dealing with a lot of torque steer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Now, I'm not completely sure because I know almost nothing about the Eclipse but I believe your Eclipse has the 4G64 engine, 2.0L, non turbo, DOHC. If that is right then I would probably agree that the EVO's 4G63 twin scroll turbo would be very good to swap into your car since it's powerful and it should easily fit into your engine bay.

• 1 decade ago

Get the EVO MR edition the fastest Mitsubishi.

• 1 decade ago

dont listne to that guy american cars blow...the evo would be the only right thing becuase its mitsubishi and the evo is a japanese racing engine....it'll do you fine. trust me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i think you just put f1 engine.it's better because this engine is faster than racing engine car.

• 1 decade ago

Sell the Jap car and buy American

• 1 decade ago

evo VIII

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.