George C asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

is it bad to lift weights when your muscles are already sore?

Favorite Answer

You probably should scale back your workout a bit. Your body needs rest to repair tissue, to grow and to get stronger. Typically, muscle soreness will go away within two or three days. In the meantime, don't stop your workouts. Continuing to exercise with light weights may help the pain subside.

My trainer has told me that if you have constantly sore muscles, check to see if you have enough protein in your diet. Per day, you need to consume at least one half gram of protein for every pound of lean muscle mass you have. Diet has alot to do with muscle growth and well-being.

No, but you should decide if it's just muscle soreness or injury. A little soreness is good. If you over worked you muscles one day you should still continue to exercises just not as hard or rigorous.

I have the same thing, I am as well a dancer. I have not gone to a doctor yet but people, research and my massage therapist all think it is a meniscus tear or injury. Mine does not hurt as much now as i have taken 2 days off of dance and rested, elivated and iced it. It cracks a ton and pops and hurts to extend or bend too much but its geting better with time. Take a day or two off and see a doctor. May be meniscuc damage (could mean your bones are grinding against eachother due to a tear in the ligaments between your bones.) Good luck!

Yes. Your muscles need to recover from a previous workout or from whatever made them sore. Otherwise you keep breaking down that sore muscle and it never rebuilds itself.

No, it's not "BAD." It's just probably not the most effective way to get fit.

But you won't "hurt yourself" doing that (unless you are so sore that you drop a weight on your foot or something).

Love Jack

• 2s2

actually... they say in order to work through the pain of sore muscles it's best to do the same exercise.

Just not as strenous.

Source(s): I used to weight lift.

yes your muscles need to rebuild

yes because your muscle cells are still repairing themselves

yes

Nope, go for it.