My wife melted aluminum foil onto a glass stovetop. What can I use to remove it?

Gentle scraping got some off, but it started to scratch. Oven cleaner was recommended but didn't do much. Nether did drain opener.

Gentle scraping got some off, but it started to scratch. Oven cleaner was recommended but didn't do much. Nether did drain opener or the special cleaner made by the manufacturer.

The cooktop is the black variety.

Favorite Answer

Use a raiser blade scraper. it will not scratch glass surface and cook top cleaner after that. bar keeppers friend is another good product for hard to get up spills. Good Luck

Allow me to break some terrible news to you. The foil probably won't be coming off anytime soon. My recommendation to you is to replace the top of the stove through a repair company if the stove is less than 5 years old. If the stove is more than 7 years old, it will probably cost the same amount to replace the entire stove as it would to order new parts and pay for labor.

I'm not trying to be a downer here, but I am giving you a realistic answer that won't require a bunch of wacky ideas that will only make the problem worse. Trust me, the stovetop is ruined.

Source(s): Appliance Expert

i know this is an old question but this is for anyone else in panic looking for an answer

we had the same problem

We used a bbq cleaner (can't remember what brand or what kind we just had it lying around)

we sprayed the bbq cleaner on wherever there was melted foil on the stove top

let it sit for around 3 mins and rubbed it off with steel wool (put in a little bit of arm muscle into it aha)... the aluminium foil came off with no scratches

also when we did this the stove top was still warm/cooling down when we put the bbq cleaner on

Source(s): from experience